What's new
What's new

Machining guide proofread

playr_78

Aluminum
I created a few page machining guide full of basic to moderate tips and good practice for machining including some math to hand out and train some of the other machinists I work with. I am in charge of programming most all of the CNC in the shop but we do alot of manual machining still so I tried to stick to basic theory and borrowed a bunch of pictures from Sandvik to illustrate some points. I was hoping I could get a few of you guys to proof read it for me and tell me what you think. If it flows well, or would be too daunting for someone with minimal machining experience to understand with little to no extra help. It is also designed to serve as a reference to myself and anyone else who is interested. I am going to add an advanced section later including some more advanced CNC specific toolpaths and capabilities like balance turning, sturz milling, and troichodial milling but that doesn't need to be in what I print out and give to the other employees, since they will never be able to utilize that knowledge, atleast as of yet.

I tried attaching it to the post but it is not working (any other ideas?), if you guys are interested send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

Thanks!

I tried attaching it to the post but it is not working (any other ideas?), if you guys are interested send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

Apparently there is a bug that affects attachments on the first post in the thread but not subsequent posts. Maybe the attachment code tries to put things in a directory before it exists, because the thread hasn't been created yet, or something. So, if you post a reply, that may fix your problem.

The second problem you may run into, though, is that you are restricted to only a few file types, so you will need to use one of those or wrap the file in a zip file.

Still could not get file to load, kept saying file error even in a zipped format. Does anyone on here host a ftp site? Otherwise please continue with the emails and I will send it that way.

Please look out for spam as email accounts tend to block new addresses with attachments

Please post what you think, likes, dislikes, changes you would like to see.

Last edited:
Still could not get file to load, kept saying file error even in a zipped format. Does anyone on here host a ftp site?
Email it to me (click on my handle for the address) and I'll put it up on one of my sites.

The file is probably too large for the attachment function in the bbs software.

- Leigh

Thank you, most of the graphics were from Sandvik, some from OSG and few others though, I did draw a couple sketches my own but I take no credit for the others

Thanks to all of you so far for proof reading a making suggestions. I have made quite a few small changes to it with your help. My boss and then the president and VP of the company got a look at it the other day while I was making some revisions and they loved it. They want me to turn that into a couple hour class to help drive the points home to our other workers.

Back