What's new
What's new

reicpriacting (sawzall ) blade for harden steel ?

calvin b

Hot Rolled
Hi YA'll,
Hey I have a bit of an issue.. a track hoe of one of my customers had a grease fitting that was never hooked up to the external grease manifold and it resulted in a partially sheared hardened pin. The only way I see to get the hydraulic cylinder out is to cut both sides of the pin.. So with this in mind does anyone have any source for good reciprocating saw blades for cutting hardened material ?
Thanks in advance
Calvin B

I don't think that is going to happen.

Burn the center of the pin out with a slice torch. Oxygen lance, cutting torch, and air arc will also work in the right hands.

Lennox makes a blade with a carbide grit teeth. I used it to cut cast iron pipe and it worked well, not fast but slow and steady.
Worth a try, never cut a hardened steel with this blade though.
mike

I recently had to cut a cast iron drainpipe. Home Depot sells a diamond sawzall blade that cut it very nicely. Slow but it got the job done. A standard demolition blade wouldn't touch it.

It seems like you're over thinking the situation, I've seen case hardened pins but not through hardened in those cylinders. Any of the quality flex back blades with high speed steel teeth should cut right through that pin, trick is to keep the speed on the blade down and feed pressure high (blade will wear instead of cut if not).
Dan

The pin is definitely not through hardened.If it were it would shatter like glass.
pretty sure chrome plated.
think about it ,if pin was through hardened it would have ate through cylinder eye.
Personally I think pin wear hardened, but i think a regular bi-metal saws all blade will do it, slow and steady

I second motojoel1’s recommendation of the carbide teeth Diablo metal cutting blades. I cut dry through hardened U-Locks like butter with them. The trick is to keep the blade completely straight. Any flex tends to cause the teeth to chip. Also keep the blade to the shortest length that will work so that they don’t vibrate as much.

-David

-edit: they make wood demo blades with carbide teeth, so make sure to get the for-metal ones

I'll add another vote for the Diablo blades. I made 2 cuts through 4" cast iron pipe, and at least 6 cuts through 2" cast iron pipe with the same blade. I leaned on the saw with all my weight, and held her at full throttle after the cut was started. Still using the blade for more mundane cuts. BTW, you can buy them individually on Amazon. I bought 2, because I couldn't afford to come up short in the middle of the job. I sold the second one new in the package to a friend who was looking for a way to cut up a hot tub. It did his deed where others failed.

Back