What's new
What's new

Remove Jackob drill chuck

Skeeter

Aluminum
Hello to all,

I would like to remove the Jackob's drill chuck from an old drill motor.
This chuck does not have a screw inside that I can see. I tried putting a
3/8" allen wrench in the chuck and give it a couple raps with a rubber mallet. I tried driving it counter clockwise looking at the chuck. Did not get rough with it so would like some comments on how to remove this unit from the drill.

The chuck is a Jacobs multi-craft 5/64 - 1/2 inch. That's all of the information on the chuck.

This is mounted on a very old Sioux drill motor.

Thanks for any advise that you can furnish.

IT's called a"pickle fork" in the Auto trade.

800600001660490.jpg

Reversible drill motors have a LH threaded screw in the motor shaft.
All chucks that I have removed from drill motors have had RH threads on the motor shaft.
Put an Allen wrench size 1/2 or largest size you have in the chuck and tighten. Strike the Allen wrench on the handle as hard as you can. The drill motor must be supported so that it cannot absorb the impact of a 2 LB hammer.
Modifiers: If the drill motor is reversible, a screw was installed, whether you can see it or not is the question.
A previous user may have used a thread locker compound.
A rust formation in the joint may make the removal difficult.

Reversible drill motors have a LH threaded screw in the motor shaft.
All chucks that I have removed from drill motors have had RH threads on the motor shaft.
Put an Allen wrench size 1/2 or largest size you have in the chuck and tighten. Strike the Allen wrench on the handle as hard as you can. The drill motor must be supported so that it cannot absorb the impact of a 2 LB hammer.
Modifiers: If the drill motor is reversible, a screw was installed, whether you can see it or not is the question.
A previous user may have used a thread locker compound.
A rust formation in the joint may make the removal difficult.

I have a jacobs taper mount drill chuck on an old black and decker drill. Most hand drills, however, have a threaded mount. Better to know for sure before beating with hammers and wedges.

Most likely a right turn drill motor has a threaded shaft holding the chuck.. it needs a solid wack best with a spanner wrench and a steel(ball peen) hammer.
right turn tight .. left turn loosen.

Some chucks on for a coons age may be well stuck so a soaking might help..or not.

Last edited:
These Jacobs wedges come in different sizes. It behooves everybody to have a complete set in the drawer for occasions like yours. They are inexpensive.

In most cases a pickle fork is going to be way too thick and have a much steeper taper angle than the proper wedges.
If you can get the pickle fork to fit you run a high risk of bending the shaft of the drill--don' ask me how I know...:eek:

Back