What's new
What's new

Removing ball bearings by cutting/grinding

AlexO

Banned
I've got two BB's I need to chop off - no other way to remove them. Around 100mm OD. I'm curious if anybody has a good procedure or tool suggestion for this. In the past I used a die grinder with a round grinding stone. But it took forever.

the races are usually hard enough you can just crack them with a punch

That did not work for me, just damaged my tool.

I find that a 4fl carbide end mill cuts them just fine if the mill has a corner radius. Cut the outer race, remove the guts, then cut off the inner race. No need to fully cut the inner race, just get it thin enough so that it snaps off.

If there is space a thin 1 mm cut-off disk works fast(even too fast and you end up scoring the axle)
Use either angle grinder or straight air grinder. Smallest ~30mm disks get you quite close to corners but expect to use more than one.

Seen some brave souls to even use plasma torch but what I heard its harder than oxyacet torch...

For outer races welding is unbeatable.

I think some pictures are in order here if for nothing else just to clarify things. First post says you need to chop them off and later it's stuck in a bore?
I haven't met a bearing yet that if it was installed by someone it couldn't be uninstalled; Show me something new.
Dan

I've yet to see races I can't file nowadays. :) And they're stuck in the bores, not on the shafts.

Stuck on bore: three best options: Weld, Weld, Weld. :D

weld a bead or just heat a puddle with TIG around the race and once it cools it will fall off without any help.

Stuck on bore: three best options: Weld, Weld, Weld. :D

weld a bead or just heat a puddle with TIG around the race and once it cools it will fall off without any help.

^^^
Yeah, that . . . and if you want to protect the internals from weld spatter - get some Pillsbury biscuits in a can and press the biscuits into the void just past the race - then weld away, the biscuits will catch the spatter and cook / expand to keep the seal, when the race falls out, just pull the biscuit out and throw it away.

Learned this from a fellow old truck nut and this has made removing bearing races from hard to reach transmission bores go easy without getting a bunch of contamination in the transmission.

1. I think some pictures are in order here if for nothing else just to clarify things. First post says you need to chop them off and later it's stuck in a bore?
2. I haven't met a bearing yet that if it was installed by someone it couldn't be uninstalled; Show me something new.
Dan

1. Seen you any contradiction there ?
2. Well, we all have our own breath of experience..... :)

^^^
Yeah, that . . . and if you want to protect the internals from weld spatter - get some Pillsbury biscuits in a can and press the biscuits into the void just past the race - then weld away, the biscuits will catch the spatter and cook / expand to keep the seal, when the race falls out, just pull the biscuit out and throw it away.

Learned this from a fellow old truck nut and this has made removing bearing races from hard to reach transmission bores go easy without getting a bunch of contamination in the transmission.

Can't put heat in those bores. There are remnants of an old pin inside - can't try press/bang them either. The wedging effect will throw the bores out of round. "Chopping" is the only option. :)

Can't put heat in those bores. There are remnants of an old pin inside - can't try press/bang them either. The wedging effect will throw the bores out of round. "Chopping" is the only option. :)

Sounds like your mind is made up already, WTF are you asking, get busy with your grinder then.

So you want fastest way to grind bearing race inside hole... how about small CBN wheel on heavy duty die grinder. Nah ..probably too much heat...use flood coolant

If you run quick bead with TIG at high current and very fast travel speed it will put minimum amount of heat to the bearing seat but probably shrinks the race enough to let it loose.

Sounds like your mind is made up already, WTF are you asking, get busy with your grinder then.

Are you fucking retarded ? Have you read post no 1 here :

"""I've got two BB's I need to chop off - no other way to remove them. Around 100mm OD. I'm curious if anybody has a good procedure or tool suggestion for this. In the past I used a die grinder with a round grinding stone. But it took forever."""

Try reply to the actual fucking question asked not to what you think you understood from others' replies.

Are you fucking retarded ? Have you read post no 1 here :

"""I've got two BB's I need to chop off - no other way to remove them. Around 100mm OD. I'm curious if anybody has a good procedure or tool suggestion for this. In the past I used a die grinder with a round grinding stone. But it took forever."""

Try reply to the actual fucking question asked not to what you think you understood from others' replies.

I had a couple other suggestions, but hey, if you're going to shit all over people who are just trying to help, fuck it, I've got better things to do.

Expanding puller and a slide hammer.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

You're not reading post no 1. There is NO other way but to grind or cut them. You can not pull/press them out, weld , freeze etc. They are LOCKED IN PLACE by pins which some fucking moron tried to drill out. If you pull them hard over the remnants of the pins the holes are toast and this is a spindle housing. The only way is to cut them. There are by the way MANY alternators where you can not remove the bearing but by cutting them. And lots of other things, too.

Back