What's new
What's new

removing static from plastic

rayman

Cast Iron
What is the best way to remove static electricity from polypropylene, or any plastic for that matter? I can't induce a charge on what is going to be touching it.

Have a grounded whiskered pickup in touch with the surface of the plastic. This needs to cover a large area as possible. These are often found in such products a laser printers which discharge static electricity from moving paper sheets just before they exit the printer.

one of the sign places i go to has the biggest buble jet printer i have ever seen. if there doing plastic sheets with the protective film, peeling the fim off creates anough static to repel the ink! it litraly floots off!! they use a ion pump and it works brilliantly. its like a vacume cleaner that blows! simply wave nozzel over charged object and charge has gone! i can also tell u thoes conductive brushes on the end of copyers help lower the static but theres a lot of charge left!

can u tell us more about the job it would help to know a little more if u can say?? like that u might get a better answer.

Get an ion gun. Google antistatic gun or ion nozzle .

I used to have an old EnerJet that attached to a compressed air nozzle, but it died and I can't find parts for the generator box.

static.jpg

Try spraying on a diluted solution of water and dish washing soap and do not wipe it off. It will form a film that controls the static buildup.

The early attempts at static electricity control used a similar method in the aerospace/missile plants.

Well there is the antistatic brushes that use to be
available in the photo business, to get rid of
dust or lint pickup on negatives to be printed.
It was a Polonium strip with a brush atached.
Of course now that the Russian defector in England
was killed with the stuff it may be hard to find.
...lew...

'Lathefan's post pretty much sums up what I could suggest.

Also try HiFi stores - as lovers of vinyl records often use a spray that removes static charge without leaving any significant film which would interfere with the groovy tunes.

Back