What's new
What's new

Repair Renishaw TS27R tool setter?

cross hair

Aluminum
Our probe started intermittently failing, we have already installed a new one. After going thru the wires and the probe itself I can only find one break in continuity.

I don't get continuity between the blue wire and the contact and the opposite side of the board. Between the blue wire connection and the contact tab is a very tiny rectangular doo-hicky that links the connection, this is where my break in continuity is. It doesn't appear to be a resister or diode, maybe a thermal couple or a tiny fuse type of thing? I have attached a picture for you to see.

So since I don't know what I'm doing does that seem to make sense as the problem and if so can I replace it? If it is a fuse of some sort I know I can just solder across it but not sure that would be a great idea, could set myself up for a bigger problem with shorting out the machine controls possibly.

Any help?

Thanks

Attachments

• TR27R.jpg
    TR27R.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 872
it might be a fuse, hard to tell without any numbers. it also looks very badly soldered, do you have the kit to reflow it? it might just be a dry joint....

I put it under a scope and can't see any numbers. If I can't figure out what it is my next step would be to try an re solder it, I didn't want to do that if it's a fuse link that needs replaced. It does feel firmly soldered, putting a knife point against it I can't see a wiggle. That little pocket that appears below the solder joint is just some garbage well below the actual solder, the solder joint itself is nice and clean, it just doesn't look like it in the picture.

I wish I knew what it was, it might be something that doesn't show continuity unless there is some current there.

Thanks for the input.

I think it is either a resistor or capacitor. Have you called renishaw and see if they will fix it? If not I'd try that first. If they won't fix it then shame on them first of all. I had a blum probe that had a similar problem and their "Fix" was to sell me another for about $2k. I thought renishaw was better though but maybe not.

If you wind up trying to repair it appears to be a bad solder joint and I'd be inclined to try to fix it as a next step. You need the right soldering iron though.

It looks like a capctitor to me, but it is hard to tell. Try to fix the solder joint first. It is best done with hot air. Depending on how the rest of the board look you can do it with a regular hot air gun. If there are plastic components close, shield them with al-foil (kitchen stuff). Put a small amount of flux on the solder joints. Heat carefully, you should heat it up quite slowly then keep the solder molten for a little while. The cool down carefully. It is easy to see when the solder melts, it goes shiny. Take care not to blow the component away.
There are plenty of yotube videos on the subject. The first reasonable I found spending 5s searcing was this: Homemade SMD Hot Air Soldering - YouTube

/Staffan

I had this very same issue. Additionally, my connector on the other side of your picture was severely corroded. I cleaned the corrosion, and then ran a jumper wire and soldered it in place. Works like a champ now and has been faithfully setting tools for months.

I'll see if I took any pictures of it and post them if I did.

Thanks for all the input. I really don't think it is a solder problem, the picture I posted is misleading. The solder joint itself is nice and tight, that pocket that shows up in the picture is actually kind of a shadow where the solder puddles out at the bottom of the joint. But yes I could be wrong about the solder joint, it's very very tiny.

I did contact Renishaw and the repair service they offer is an exchange for a rebuilt unit for $825 dollars. I went ahead and put a new unit on the machine but wanted to try and fix the old one. If I can't find out exactly what the part in question is or how it works I will try re soldering and if that doesn't work I will solder a bridge across the post.

Just for giggles I will contact Renishaw again and see if they will tell me what that part is or send me a schematic of the unit.

Sometimes with parts like this you need to spend some time figuring out the circuit to tell the context of the part and it will become apparent what it is. I have never seen a fuse like that and am pretty sure that is not a fuse. Jumpering the part out is not a good idea. If it is a decoupling capacitor or a pull-up resistor you will fry something.

I have a 2004 VF2 with a TS27R. Is there any trick to get the TS27R apart? I am trying to re-connect the small white 3 pin connector (blue/red/shield wires) to the board inside the tool setter. Long story short, the cable conduit was cut in half and I an re-running the wires.

I spoke with Renishaw on the phone today. They will exchange a TS27R for an $850 repair/exchange. They will rewire my TS27R for $200. I still need to provide.conduiateя

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back