What's new
What's new

Requested to build a Pumpkin Chucker

Bondo

Hot Rolled
I have a great customer who owns a farm stand and wants a pumpkin chucker catapult to launch pumpkins to attract more visitors. This place isn't the average farm stand, it's made to keep families there for a few hours with kid friendly events.

He wants it built from wood mainly, and only throwing it say 100 to 150 feet.

I have always wanted to build one and I've been to pumpkin chunkin a few times. It's pretty cool.

I have searched online and there is no real design as I assume a legal issue.

Anyone have anywhere I can go look up one, or a book, or experience (hopefully) to share? I have to have it done by beginning of September.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

What type?

Many different variants but to make it a family friendly attraction look into the human powered ones.

A bicycle is used to wind up the spring then the trigger is pulled.

Something the children can compete to see who can make it go further.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Not to be a downer, but how's your liability insurance situation? This just cries out "be careful!".

Seriously, if you're working on a wood device that's going to lob pumpkins around family groups, then be absolutely sure your device is child proof, can't splinter apart when under load, and is built to withstand minimal maintenance while being subject to neglect and weathering.

I woudn't touch this with a 1000lb pumpkin.

Sorry I left out the main details.

This will be used by a staff member only
This will not be made from 2x4s.. Rather build with 4x6 or 6x6, oak
The smaller sized machine the better but he wants a catapult, mainly for the dramatic effect. I'd love to build a mini hand power/bicycle power cannon but not as dramatic.

I'd be willing to bet there are a few parents who would elect to chuck their kids, if allowed access. lol.

Not to be a downer, but how's your liability insurance situation? This just cries out "be careful!".

Seriously, if you're working on a wood device that's going to lob pumpkins around family groups, then be absolutely sure your device is child proof, can't splinter apart when under load, and is built to withstand minimal maintenance while being subject to neglect and weathering.

I woudn't touch this with a 1000lb pumpkin.
Was looking near Chicago for Chucking last fall. Was one not to far away. No longer around. Seems a hatch blew off one of the air powered chuckers and seriously injured someone. Game over for chucking!

Was looking near Chicago for Chucking last fall. Was one not to far away. No longer around. Seems a hatch blew off one of the air powered chuckers and seriously injured someone. Game over for chucking!

Not that surprising, but glad it wasn't a fatality. Lots of folks don't appreciate the power of compressed air, or for that matter any stored energy device.

I think this does point towards going with a trebuchet if you do try this, the "mass" aspect of energy storage is easier to understand and design for.

I was at that type of feely farm in California a couple of years ago. They had a toy my wife and I just had to try I hadn't heard of before. It was a ear corn gun. The guns were tripod mounted and ran off compressed air. A nubbin (small ear of corn) was patched with the husk and rammed down the barrel.

There were targets downrange (30' maybe?) with holes ranging from 8" to 2'. The targets were painted animal silhouettes. There was quite a bit of arch in the trajectory, and easy to see the ear moving downrange. The range had netting around and behind the targets and stops on the guns for elevation and windage.

Corney as all get out (pun intended), but we had a lot of fun for a little bit. I'd never shot a 2" bore before.

No, its not trebuchet advise, but its another attraction which will allow actual hands on activity.

The poor-er countries with people starving must look at the U.S.
as downright insane, wasting food for "Fun".....:skep:

The poor-er countries with people starving must look at the U.S.
as downright insane, wasting food for "Fun".....:skep:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the variety of pumpkin used as Halloween decorations or chucking aren't edible or so I have been told by food experts.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the variety of pumpkin used as Halloween decorations or chucking aren't edible or so I have been told by food experts.

They're absolutely edible - they make great pies.

The issue is, once you cut them and leave them out exposed to air and bugs and stuff they decay like any other squash. So you can't take your Jack O' Lantern and make a pie. But you could buy two punkins and make a pie with one and a Jack O' Lantern with the other.

They're absolutely edible - they make great pies.

The issue is, once you cut them and leave them out exposed to air and bugs and stuff they decay like any other squash. So you can't take your Jack O' Lantern and make a pie. But you could buy two punkins and make a pie with one and a Jack O' Lantern with the other.

Or.....you could make better usage of the dwindling land resources that we have and
grow a crop that feeds peeple....

or makes ethanol to burn in a car....:nutter:

A trebuchet would definitely be easier to operate, but I'm going by what I'm told. I will probably end up making a treb. A 10" air cannon about 50' long would be way more enjoyable to make, but just a little more dangerous and expensive to operate. I do also live in the same town as the "Big 10" which I think still holds the world record.

This isn't going to be a waste of food. It is going to launch the pumpkins that aren't sold, and creep tard ones.

Back