What's new
What's new

Requesting help with Starrett 196A1 Back Plunger indicator.

DJ_99Wing

Aluminum
I just acquired a used Starrett 196A1 Indicator. Unfortunately the plunger is sticking. Any suggestions on what can be done to resolve this issue. From what I have read it should never be lubed. Other than that I have not found any additional info on how it may be fixed.

Thanks, Dan

Throw it away. They are known for their stickiness. If you can get your money back, do so, otherwise open the backdoor and throw it as far as you can. Been there, done that.

JH

i've used/owned the starrett mentioned , a GEM , and a Federal back plunger - all were incredibly sloppy . they couldn't repeat for shit .

the design is very useful though , especially for tramming in a milling vise .

anyone tried the mitutoyo version?

I have three that have somehow found there way into my collection over the years. Two work fantastic, the third has that little hang up/drag thing going on. I have tried to figure a way inside it but nothing that isn't destructive is apparent. I always just end up grabbing one of the others ones to get back to work. Since they are great for some tasks but not most I just keep putting off trying to make an effort to get into that one and see what makes it stick. I figure it's a paperweight anyway, why not. Just never seem to get the time.

Back