What's new
What's new

rigid conduit vs gal. pipe

true temper

Stainless
I have acess to a pile of 3/4" galvinized rigid conduit, would this work for air lines in my shop? What is the difference between rigid conduit snd gal. water pipe.

No.

Water pipe is designed to carry air and water under pressure.

Rigid conduit is designed to carry wires.

Steve.

Differant threads for one reason water pipe has tapered threads ,conduit has straight threads.
If you don't mind leaks at every joint and the accompanying electrical bill have at it.

When the make pipe, they strive for black iron gas pipe, anything that has leaks they galvanize, if that makes it water tight is becomes pipe, if it leaks; conduit

The NEC requires that the threads of both RMC and IMC be cut with a 3/4 inch taper per foot (1 in 16) per ANSI/ASME B.1.20.1 Standards for Pipe Threads, General Purpose (Inch). This applies to both factory and field threads. This is the same taper as standard plumbing pipe.

The above quoted from,
steel conduit

I should also add all electrical couplings are straight cut or running threads.

Rigid conduit of any kind is NOT pressure rated. If you are so foolish as to try and pressurize some of this stuff, at least post a warning to others so that they can choose not to come into the danger zone that is your shop.

don't be cheap. Pressurized air lines are dangerous. Use the proper material for the job.

Hmm, I recall some really cheap folks using thin wall pvc for 130PSI air lines. Ya, don't work there anymore. It's been great since.

I have never heard of metal conduit having the same wall thickness as galvanized pipe. Everything I see out here is made with a much thinner wall than water pipe.

Rigid electrical conduit is very similar to galvanized sch. 40 water pipe. Not used very often outside of heavy industrial facilities or hazardous locations. The much more common thin wall stuff is EMT, or electrical metallic tubing.

Back