What's new
What's new

Allow me to introduce myself!

Hregier93

Plastic
Hello all!

I'm Hregier93. I live in California, USA. I have only recently entered the world of machining via a local community college, and have discovered that working with metal is a skill I have come to cherish. I'm am currently unemployed due to some health issues but I plan on pursuing a career in the Manufacturing industry with the hopes of someday starting a small shop of my own. I spend most of my time during the day working on small projects like tool restorations and bicycles or watching youtubers like Abom79, Keith Rucker, Keith Fenner, James Kilroy and many more. I understand that I am in no way an expert and look forward to leaning from the best (You Guys). Thank you for your time and if you check out my profile, I have a few photos of some of my projects.

Welcome to PM. There is a lot of help on here for almost any question you ask. Be a sponge a soak up the knowledge. Oh yeah....photos. Show those. :D

20150309_162831.jpg20150324_185627.jpg20150324_185705.jpg20150324_210302.jpg

Here are some of those photos. We had no idea that that old torch was brass until we started polishing. That was a pleasant surprise. I don't know who made it. The label was gone. The piece with the flywheel was one of my school projects. We called it the "Thinking Machine" because it required a lot of thinking to make. That's an old Plews Oiler. The spout had been broken off and welded by the previous owner. Still works. Is it possible to post videos? I have one of the thinking machine.

I'm just a spring chicken compared to that 'torch' but I do believe that is part of a soldering iron. The iron that I know of is a pointy piece of copper about 3/4" square by a couple inches long with about a 5/16 steel rod from the back end to a wooden handle. The iron rests on the concave portion at the top above the flame and the handle is caught in the hook at the top. When it's hot you take it off solder a little, then heat it again. I've seen them fired with high test gasoline. Pour a little in it, pump it up to pressurize, crack the valve, and hold a match to the business end...

I'm just a spring chicken compared to that 'torch' but I do believe that is part of a soldering iron. The iron that I know of is a pointy piece of copper about 3/4" square by a couple inches long with about a 5/16 steel rod from the back end to a wooden handle. The iron rests on the concave portion at the top above the flame and the handle is caught in the hook at the top. When it's hot you take it off solder a little, then heat it again. I've seen them fired with high test gasoline. Pour a little in it, pump it up to pressurize, crack the valve, and hold a match to the business end...

Oh that makes sense. I did some research on them. I found only one picture with the same torch. It was made by a company called Walls torch co. Or something of that sort. Pretty neat little find. I'll have to see if my buddy has the soldering iron has well.

Back