What's new
What's new

Rivet Squeezing Force

TBandy

Plastic
Hi All.
I'm in the need of a riveting machine and I have all the material to fabricate it
including the pneumatic cylinder cus I want to make it pneumatic, but not sure what is the force required to squeeze A 5/16 mild steel rivet, does anyone of you guys can answer
This question ?

Any comments will be highly appreciated,

All the best to you all.

PS. I have an 8" bore Pneumatic cylinder that can easily deliver 5000 pounds @ 100 PSI and I can use a lever to increase the power, But not sure about the the force required to
Squeeze the 5/16 mild steel rivet.

About 15,000 pounds in my experience. May be a little more or less depending on the dies you use. Trying to form a round head instead a flat head seemed to take more force as best as I remember.

You may be able to buy a proper orbital or radial rivet setter for less than the cost of building your own. There are plenty of ebay sellers listing riveters in the 'dreamland' price range. But there are also sellers who need to move inventory, and will accept offers. The seller I bought from has others listed, and is willing to deal.

To see how radial/orbital riveting works visit this link: http://www.vsiauto.com/flash/OrbitalDemo.asp

QB

I have a CP pneumatic riveting machine that is rated a 24000 lbs at 90 psi. It lists the maximum size rivet it will squeeze as 3/8 steel, but also states that it depends on grade and hardness of the rivet.

I have a ten ton enerpac C Clamp squeezer,
one of these-
http://www.enerpac.com/en/products/maintenance-presses/series-arbor-and-c-clamp-presses

that I use with homemade dome head dies to squeeze rivets, and I would think 5/16" would be pushing it. Probably depend on what you expect in a head form- if its important you get a cosmetic round head, or if you just want strength.
So 5000lbs is pretty low, if you ask me.

I use a 30 ton hydraulic cylinder, to reliably squash 1/4" stainless rivets.

More power is always better.

Back