What's new
What's new

Robotics & Automation: Certifications and training

M-Box

Aluminum
I'm nearly finished with a 2yr engineering degree and I was wondering if anyone knew of any kinds of certifications or training that are offered online or by schools in the NYC area for Industrial robotics and automation?

I would very much like to have a job designing/ building, modifying & fixing robots, automated machines and systems of all sorts but I do not have any experience in that area. Are there many jobs with automation and industrial robotics? What can I start doing while I'm still in school to start making myself a more useful worker and more attractive candidate for employers?

FWIW - I have had several college engineering graduates approach me and offer to work for free to get experience as the job market right now is very soft.

Even at free - employees don't make sense when times are tight - it takes $$$ to educate, train and the risk associated with mistakes can be very costly. Just today I extended an offer to one such applicant - we will pay him a decent wage, but it is clearly below market for a college graduate.

We are letting him pick up a project that we did in the past with a gyro stabilized camera mount . . . if he winds up having a good work ethic and natural aptitude with this stuff - we will offer him a full time position.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to be designing robots you will need more than a 2 year degree.

A guy at my work with a phd just left to go to Irobot. The bar is pretty high.

You may have to start work as a tech, and continue your education.

FWIW - I have had several college engineering graduates approach me and offer to work for free to get experience as the job market right now is very soft.

Even at free - employees don't make sense when times are tight - it takes $$$ to educate, train and the risk associated with mistakes can be very costly. Just today I extended an offer to one such applicant - we will pay him a decent wage, but it is clearly below market for a college graduate.

We are letting him pick up a project that we did in the past with a gyro stabilized camera mount . . . if he winds up having a good work ethic and natural aptitude with this stuff - we will offer him a full time position.

That is good to know that it is still possible these days to be hired at some rate, I hope your new hire turns out to be a winner. I would love to hear more about the camera mount if you are willing to share, if it's like most of the projects I read about here it's probably interesting and useful to know about.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to be designing robots you will need more than a 2 year degree.

A guy at my work with a phd just left to go to Irobot. The bar is pretty high.

You may have to start work as a tech, and continue your education.

No offense taken at all! :) , It makes sense that only cream of the crop are the ones designing the machines. I have yet to find what I am and am not capable of figuring out but at least at first I am expecting something simple and low.

Back