What's new
What's new

Rockford/Hedwick mill wanted

Matty Vee

Plastic
Hey guys.

I'm currently searching for a Rockford or Hedwick MV100 milling machine. It seems like the perfect mill to fit my home shop. I know these mills come and go occasionally but are these harder to come by than I think? My concern is finding one that is complete, even if it's broken I can always make parts for it. I read a while back that a company called bourn-koch took over the parts end of these mills but has anyone ever reached out to them about what they actually have?

Does anyone have a manual for this machine? I already have a brochure as well as a cutaway view depicting all the part numbers

I was just looking at a millrite at an auction but the Rockford/Hedwick machine just seems a lot more stout with more options standard (power down feed, bigger table, power table feed, high low gear box etc). I also like the idea of the motor not being mounted on top of the ram.

I'm located in NY, east of Manhattan.

I have a Rockford MV 100 but no manual. It sounds like you already have the documents I've shared with others on PM.

Davis

There's a machine currently listed on Craigslist semi local to you.
Rockford vertical milling machine - tools - by owner - sale

Unfortunately that's not for sale anymore. I messaged him a couple weeks ago with no response. I then reached out to him two days ago and he said it's been sold, I guess he doesn't know he has to take down the posting down.

Sidebite- do you like the mill? Are there any limitations with it compared to say a bridgeport or similarly larger sized mill? Was it hard for you to find it or did it kind of fall into your possession? I know they come up for sale occasionally I just have to keep a look-out for one is all.

I see that there's no spindle brake, how is the spindle held during collet changes?

You put the spindle in back gear and there is enough friction it does not back drive.
There is a feature in the drawbar/holder that automatically kicks the collet down as you loosen the drawbar. No banging with a hammer required.

The head has only a nod adjustment for angled cuts and tramming. The other direction you have what you have.
The head slides in an out on dovetails so you can fine tune how far from the column your cutter is.
There is no turret to rotate the head off to one side. So it is not as flexible as a Bridgeport in machining large odd shaped pieces.

The quill autofeed is infinitely adjustable from 0 to 0.006 inches per rev unlike the 3 choices on a BP.

Ah, that's right I think I remember reading that somewhere about dropping it in back gear to remove the collet. I do however love the feature that helps retract the collet. I didn't know that, every bridgeport that I've used, usually has a buggered up drawbar hex from people beating on it.

As far as the ability to nod forward, it would be a nice feature but I doubt I will ever use it. Only reason why I would want it would be the ability to tram it in, in that direction. Is there any other way to make that adjustment?

Not sure I understand your question.

I guess tramming may not be the correct word but since the Rockford doesn't have the ability to nod, what happens if the spindle isn't perpendicular to the table? Or are you stuck with however it lies?

In the nod direction you can tram as close as you desire. In the other direction you accept what you have or break out the scraping tools.

OK, makes sense.

Is there any kind of groups on yahoo or anything for these machines? If I ever get my hands on one I'd like to start a group if there isn't one.

Never heard of one. I only know of 3 or 4 owners. Logan lathes used to sell them. Scott Logan did not have much good to say about them. There is no spring on the quill to make it go up. If the drag clutch on the right is not snug enough the quill will drop on its own unless the lock is on tight.

I uploaded what I have on the hobby-machinist.com website. My user name over there is ASM109

Its an exploded view with part numbers and instructions on the controls especially the power quill feed.

My grandfather in law bought mine new in 1958. My serial # is MV175. What is yours?

I recently purchased a Hedwick model MV - 100 milling machine that was rescued from a scrap yard by a friend. I am also looking for a manual for this machine if anyone has one or the love to get my hands on a copy. I machine serial number is MV397

Thanks. I was able to find a parts breakdown online. What I am really in need of is a copy of the owner's manual or workshop manual, even some pictures of the original decals would be very helpful as most of mine are mostly unreliable. Anyone with any help can email me directly at [email protected].
Thanks
Drew

Back