What's new
What's new

Air dryer plumbing question

D. Rey

Titanium
I just got a new AC and refig type air dryer. I looked into the guts of the compressor (chicago Pneumatic 5HP screw type) and I can't figure out how to plumb the dryer into it, the lines are buried way back behind the screw and filters. I ran the dryer at the outlet of the tank but I'm wondering if this the accepted route? Should I go digging and place the dryer in line before the tank?

Dave

We run our dryer after the tank and it works fine. The tank will also help remove some of the mositure. If you do not have a auto drain on the tank put one on. Be sure to plumb a bypass around you dryer so that it can be serviced without shutting you shop down.

Rick

Dave,
My recip is plumbed, pump to receiver to dryer to shop. Forrest suggested pump to dryer to receiver to shop…I think. I understand his approach as the dryer before the tank sends nothing but dry air into the tank…but can you count on It staying dry in there?? I think so if your using plenty of air. I still have water and condensate filters at each CNC machine and they stay perfectly dry!
Carl

You want to avoid excessive high inlet temperatures, so the tank (at a minimum) should be first in line from the pump. An aftercooler may then be installed as an option - this will remove about two-thirds of the water vapor and present cooler air to the dryer.

A 5-micron pre-filter should be installed right before the dryer. This removes the larger particles and water droplets and helps keep the internal heat exchanger on the dryer cleaner.

----------------
Barry Milton

When the dryer is placed after the reciever there is a good chance the dryer exceeds its capacity For some period of time there can pass much more air than the dryers capacity Water in the lines as a result
When the dryer is placed before the reciever that is not possible No more than the pumps capacity will paas the dryer
You see: every advantidge has his own disadvantige
(quoting Johan Cruyf)

Peter,

Could you elaborate? My IR dryer is 100 CFM, whether it's installed after the pump, after the tank, or after the aftercooler.

No matter where the dryer is located, if you flow 200 CFM through a 100 CFM unit, the result will be moisture in the lines.

------------------
Barry Milton

Barry
Having a 100CFM pump and a 100CFM dryer placed just after it the flow can never exceed 100CFM
When the dryer is placed after the reciever one can have a much bigger flow for a short period of time because the reciever has accumilated a substantional
quantity of air which can ad to the flow now

Digging deep

D.Rey,
How has your 5HP CP screw been now that you have had it for a while?
How much do you run it?
How much power does it draw on average?

I am toying with going to a screw this year. Just don't want to regret it when the power bill comes.:)

My 5HP Worthington handles things pretty well but there are times when we exercise it pretty decent. Most of the time I guess it runs about every 10-15 minutes. I should time it during a high usage time.;)

ARB

One suggestion, no matter where you put it, as someone already said, a bypass. Where I was before, we didn't have a bypass, and if it froze up, which it did occasionally, we were down, or needed maintenance or a filter cleaned.

This time, we used hydraulic quick disconnects. That way if it needs maintenance, we can pull it down real quick, its 10 feet up in the air.

after tank is fine
with all the pre filter you can afford to keep dryer as clean and dry as possible

plus all the bypasses described

plus one for for somthing you ain't thought of yet

drain tank regularly

a little auto drain is handy
couple seconds every few hours should do

Carl, I don't think I said to put a refrigerated air dryer between pump and receiver but I'm almost certain I did reccommend putting a cooler (heat exchanger) in that location. The refrigerated air dryer goes from the receiver outlet to the distribution or to another receiver if you want a dry air surge capacity.

Back