What's new
What's new

Rotary Compressors Any made in USA?

allfoden

Aluminum
I need to purchase a 10 HP rotary compressor with refrigerated dryer and filter. I have been looking at units sold by Eaton Compressor but I think most, if not all, of the components are made ex USA i.e. China. Any sugestions of other brands I should consider? Since almost nothing is made completely here anymore am I unrealistic in looking for something made in USA. I would expect that the motor and pump are the critical parts of the unit to be really concerned with? Thank you in advance

I would seriously consider Kaiser. They may cost more, but it's worth every penny! We've gone from IR recips to IR screws (not very reliable, and they don't tolerate hot weather well at all ) and finially bought a Kaiser. No more problems, 100% reliable, and economical too! Actually, we got a healthy rebate from Edison for getting it! Ours is a 50 hp with the digital motor drive. We run it 24 - 6 and service it once a year. For the last 5-6 years. Not 1 problem!

I have a chumm with a variable output IR screw. (vane?)

Kant say for sure where it's made tho.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Rotary compressors? Well, there are single stage screws, two stage screws, quad screws, etc. These are machines where there are screws rotating at a very tight tolerance meshing together compressing air.

There was also the rotary vane compressors. Most of them I have seen have 5 vanes on the rotating assembly. Pretty basic machines turning around 500 rpm. Seem to be very reliable but not very efficient as I recall.

I'm guessing your wanting a single stage screw? Maybe IR still makes em stateside?

Here are some small screws assembled in the USA.
http://www.industrialair.com/rotary_screw_5_10.html

Just read some specs on their 10hp single phase pulling 54 amps! Ooouch.

Sullair is a name Sullivan uses for some of its compressors.

If I was in the market, my first requirement would be that the compressor unit itself is made by Atlas Copco. Not US made, but as good as you'll ever find.

I think Chicago Pneumatic uses Atlas compressors on their small screw units.

Based on the way they seem to operate their business over the last decade or so, anything that says Ingersoll Rand on the side would be at the dead bottom of my list. FWIW, I-R isn't an American company any more, and hasn't been for several years.

Sullivan/Palatek and Sullair are differant co's But both are in Michigan City IN.
Palatek was founded by the founder of Sullair and he had also worked for Joy that was based in Michigan City.

Sullivan is the old Joy portable compressor line.

Andrew
the compressor guy

I don't think you could go wrong with Kaeser of Sullaire compressors. I have a Kaeser SM10 aircenter in my shop right next to the machines and could not be happier because of the noise level. The reason I went with the Kaeser over the Sullaire was because of dealer support although I haven't had any problems with my compressor at all.

M Owens

I have been pushing two kaisers pretty hard with not an ounce of trouble. I have an SK26 and a sk19. When I moved from a 220V to 440V location Kaiser support was great in assisting on rewireing them.

I've been using a Grimmer-Schmidt 10hp Screw compressor for the laser, and it's been flawless so far. Despite the name sounding awfully German, they are made in the USA.

Back