What's new
What's new

Rotary Table Size Use on Bridgeport 9" x 42" Table

LFJoh01

Plastic
Greetings:

Would a 15" Troyke rotary table be excessive on a Bridgeport 1HP with a 9" x 42" table. The rotary table will be used primarily for milling arcs in flat plate.

Thanks

Remember the GOTTCHA from rotary tables - they are HEAVY! You'll need a solid bench to support it when its off the mill, and possibly some help to move it.

Hot Rolled; Stainless

Thanks for the response! I will probable set a chain fall next to the mill for lifting.

Also, what should one expect to pay for a Troyke 15" in very good condition?

Regards

Someone will not doubt correct me if my memory is faulty :D but IIRC, BP themselves made a horizontal 14 or 15" table for the mills. They kept the depth (thickness) and weight down compared to after market H & V tables, but it was plenty substantial.

edited, found one first hit on eBay:

BRIDGEPORT 15" T SLOT ROTARY TABLE | eBay

That said, I tend to keep a Kurt on the left and a 10" rotab or a DH on the right of my mills. (1 SB 42" table turret mill, one "unmentionable" 28" table.) Much heavier is probably not so good to leave on "permanently" or when working at the other end of the table.

smt

Heavy! Boy you can say that again. I am getting to where I don't think I should pick up my 10" any more. I dropped it once a few years ago. But I missed my foot. I am afraid my aim may be improving. Or my luck decreasing. I would guess a 15" would weigh at least twice as much.

Personally, I think the 10" is plenty big enough for that size table, which roughly matches my mill. Do check to be sure you will be able to mount it with the slot spacing of your table or you may wind up with an adapter plate or some custom clamps.

Remember the GOTTCHA from rotary tables - they are HEAVY! You'll need a solid bench to support it when its off the mill, and possibly some help to move it.

IMHO its the wrong way to go, convert the mill to a 2 axis cnc, radi are there after effortless. Using a rotary table is a very backwards approach to the problem. 2 axis of cnc control let you profile any 2d shape imaginable something with multiple radius’s would take days with a rotary table, minutes with a simple cnc interface.

If you don't already own the rotary why go for a 15" get a 10 or 12 instead,
something you can actually lift with out a crane.

12" is to small, think about your part size, you need to have room to clamp the part down. I have the 16" BP rotab, it is stored on a wood topped metal cabinet. I move the table full right and all the way back to the column. then raise or lower it to the same height as the cabinet top, then slide the rotab off the cabinet and directly on the table. no lifting required. work smarter not harder. Welden is right, get a riser as well.

IMHO its the wrong way to go, convert the mill to a 2 axis cnc, radi are there after effortless. Using a rotary table is a very backwards approach to the problem. 2 axis of cnc control let you profile any 2d shape imaginable something with multiple radius’s would take days with a rotary table, minutes with a simple cnc interface.

I understand your advice, but question its economic viability. Converting a manual mill to an NC mill is expensive because the table screws must be replaced with ball screws, as well as all the other costs acquiring and installing the servos and control. I am very much faced with the same dilemma and my research says it is much less expensive to sell the BP and buy a replacement NC mill. Perhaps you know how this can be economical. I don't. Please explain.

I feel that 2 axis cnc is a waste of time and money, you need 3 to do any real work.

adama,

Because this mill is used only in custom, and not production environment, I will have to go the route of the table at this time due to cost constraints. However, a 3-axis CNC would be very sweet!! And as you state a whole lot easier!!

Thanks,

MoonLight Machine,

Thanks for reminding me. I checked the RT and it's tie down slots are on the RT center-line. So, I would be able to clamp it to the center of the table. I would prefer to avoid fabing an adapter and lose the additional distance between table and spindle.

Thanks,

MoonLight Machine,

Thanks for reminding me. I checked the RT and it's tie down slots are on the RT center-line. So, I would be able to clamp it to the center of the table. I would prefer to avoid fabing an adapter and lose the additional distance between table and spindle.

Thanks,

I am not sure what you are referring to, adaptor?

EPAIII, Moonlight Machine,

Thanks for the comments on weight. The Toryke R-15 weighs about 175 lbs so I will not be able to lift. So, I will either go with a rolling bench/table or a short-small "A" frame on rollers. The "A" frame would be such that the RT could be swung over the BP table. Once the RT is over the table the table could be raised to take tension off of the chains securing the RT to the "A" frame. Once off tension the chains would be released and "A" frame rolled away. One downside is that the "A" frame would take up some square footage in the shop. About the same as a table/bench. I had considered a small chain-fall next to the BP but that could be possibly more dangerous a event.

Cheers!

Greetings:

THANKS to all sharing their experience and knowledge.

HAPPY Thanksgiving to ALL!!

LJoh01

MoonLight Machine,

Sorry, that was EPAIII that suggested I check the RT bolt pattern and table slots.

Regards,

Where I work , I have a BP (with a 42" table) setting across an isle that has a 25" X 120 Leblond lathe against a wall. There is a job crane with a one ton chain fall over the headstock of the lathe. The jib crane just reaches the BP. I have a table behind the headstock that has the chucks and steady rest for the lathe as well as the 15" Troyke rotab for the mill. That seems to work very well for me! Ive never had need for a riser with this setup but I have never had need to use the rotab in the vertical configuration. ( I've got a decent 10" chuck super spacer for that!

CNC is sub 1K - 3K tops, same as a new 15" rotory, if your going second hand rotary its cheaper. A CNC bridgeport is never a production machine, but its fast compared to playing with rotary tables. I do a lot of 2d contouring with mine, yeah could be done with a rotary, but would take hours not just a couple of minutes!

Back