What's new
What's new

Re-habilitating tool chests

Gronicle

Plastic
I just got a older Kennedy machinist tool chest. A seven drawer model. The felt lining of the drawers is trashed out, and I am wondering what would be the best/easiest way to remove the old felt so that I can re-line the drawers?? Any suggestions or advice?? Regards, Gronicle

Whatever you reline with, and whatever glue you decide to use, make sure you are confident they are acid-free. The reason should be obvious.

You can get acid-free PVA glue at a craft shop that sells scrapbooking supplies. A recent discussion on PM pointed out that hide glue is apparently what Gerstner uses to secure their felt. Hide glue is available at woodworking suppliers. You have to mix it with water and heat it before use.

Acid-free felt shouldn't be too hard to find, either.

JRR

I recently redid a couple of my Kennedy boxes; I found acid free spray adhesive and acid free felt at my local Hobby Lobby store---the felt is quite cheap and comes in a wide range of colors.

For the larger bottom drawer and top lid area, I used regular black toolbox liner first, then added felt on top of that. I thought the additional padding might be prudent...

Back