What's new
What's new

Rust prevention for fastener storage

Cannonmn

Stainless
Pic shows the problem, about 700 small steel bins of all kinds of bolts, shcs, setscrews, precision dowel bolts, etc. some of which are starting to rust since the room they occupy is humid during 3 of the four seasons. I'm sure if we put in air-conditioning the issue might go away but I don't think that's in the budget. I'm told spraying with WD-40 isn't the long term solution we want. We have lots of extra plexiglass and could cut covers for each bin, but I'd rather find a spray or pour-on coating that'd last for years. We could put all the stuff in airtight jars, but we like the present pick-bin setup.
img_46621.jpg

If the room can be closed off by shutting the door, etc. then just put a dehumidifier in there. Fitting an automatic door closer will counteract lazy sods that were born in a barn...

Close off, close door, dehumidifier.

Also,, I spray mine with wd-40 rust prevent. Actually works.

Ok you must be saying there is a WD-40 product other than the basic one with that name? I would try it if there is but maybe I misunderstood.

We had storage corrosion issues with aircraft components, specifically remanufactured parts we had produced.

Components that were stored in WD40 showed the worst corrosion of all the methods tried, best was the old school sealed in a can since WWII and submerged in grease method. Next best was cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper and stored dry on a shelf, also old school method.

During testing we examined inexpensive methods that would exhibit the best aspects of the old school methods and still be easy to apply. We settled on over the counter "engine storage spray", its mostly wax, carrier solvent and light oil so it was easy to remove unlike the old school methods.

It was the wax component that made the difference, its all I use now in my garage for storing tools and parts.

Since some of my shop stock is pushing 50 years old and has been stored without any climate controls for much of that time, I have had rust problems. I have purchased a couple of inexpensive tumbling machines and some walnut shell media and I just put the contents of a rusted bin in there and turn it on. I come back in a day or two (or three) and they are nice and clean.

Then I separate them from the walnut shells and use a kitchen strainer to dip them in a solution of mineral spirits and light machine oil. Dump on a paper towel to gently dry and back in the bin, which I cleaned out to remove any loose rust. So far, that has lasted for several years. I am sure WD-40 would also help but I think my 50/50 solution of mineral spirits and oil has a larger oil content.

For accessories to the tumbler I have some kitchen items like funnels, aluminum baking pan, strainers, and some large perforated and solid spoons. They were inexpensive and help a lot. Oh, and magnets are great for separating steel items from the tumbling media.

My present shop is climate controlled year round. That should help. If I live another 20 years I will drag up this thread and update it.

Thanks for the "engine storage spray" suggestion, might try some of that, but am wondering how well it would work on full bins of small screws, say a few hundreds small setscrews about 3" deep? Does it remain a liquid long enough to trickle down through all that, or protect them by sealing the top surface?

A creek runs through my cellar shop much of the year.
There's a divided steel 100 space wall organizer + file cabinets of cardboard boxes of unplated fasteners ("allen" bolts/screws).
I open and spray each new box of fasteners with LPS#2 until it looks wet, close and shake up the box before putting in the storage system. If it is dowels or stripper bolts or items that won't get used frequently I will also spray in a slug of LPS#3 (basically cosmolene) and shake that up, too.

seems to work for me. Sometimes over the years it may be necessary to give a "booster shot" with more LPS #2.

smt

I find Castrol Rustilo DWX32 in a squirt bottle pretty hard to beat, it leaves a brown waxy deposit that seems to wick over the fasteners from a generous squirt in the middle of the tray. I know it's working because I found some black oxide fasteners that I'd missed coating with it and they've started to rust, It's pretty good value in a 5 gallon drum so I use it on everything that might get exposed to damp. It smells identical to 1970's-80's car parts so the parts makers must have used something similar on machined steel parts.

I installed AC in the whole shop. Was not as bad as I thought and the problem went away entirely. 6000 sq ft with 13" ceilings. 2 Mazaks running, 10 hp screw running, still comfortable in August heat. And dry.

I find Castrol Rustilo DWX32 in a squirt bottle pretty hard to beat, it leaves a brown waxy deposit that seems to wick over the fasteners from a generous squirt in the middle of the tray. I know it's working because I found some black oxide fasteners that I'd missed coating with it and they've started to rust, It's pretty good value in a 5 gallon drum so I use it on everything that might get exposed to damp. It smells identical to 1970's-80's car parts so the parts makers must have used something similar on machined steel parts.

Thanks but I wasn't able to find a US source; maybe it can't meet our treehugger environmental regulations?

I wound up ordering 3-13 oz cans of Mavcoat steel shield ($70. Incl. shipping) since the reviewers comments seem to say it will be the best for my application; the only criticisms of it are that "it stinks" in one review and "it doesn't dry" in another, neither of which I could care less about. I'll report on how it works for me. I appreciate all the suggestions and checked each product vs. my requirement.

Fluid Film works, and it doesn't stink.

Thanks, I found a page on that stuff that says it has been used for 50 years but there are no reviews. Anyone else use it? Can you give us a few words on whether it dries or not, whether it propagates to items in contact after application, etc? What did you use it on and in what environment?

Fluid Film | 12/12 Ounce Case

CRC 3-36 in a quirt bottle works well. I buy it 1 gallon containers. I coat tool, fasteners, machines.. literally squirting in drawers often. Dries non sticky.

Back