What's new
What's new

How are small diameter drill bits made?

swellwelder

Stainless
It isn't too hard to see how larger(maybe 1/4" and up)drill bits are made, with some kind of grinder, but when you get smaller, what process is used? Smaller and smaller grinders? lol. Not a burning need to know, but surely am curious!

Dale Nelson

At least on big drills, the flutes are milled out. There's a picture in one of my books showing a 2 inch or so diameter bit mounted on a index head hooked up to the gearing of a universal mill table on a horizontal mill, so that as the table travels the bit rotates and the cutter cuts a helical flute.

Don't know if they have a little 2 inch talk cinncinati universal replica for those 0.005 inch drills. Maybe Rivett makes these for the mini drill bit industry...

I was drilling some .025 in. holes the other day, and looked at the drill flutes under a loupe... It is amazing how they are made.. I assume they are ground, in a constant flood of coolant.

I use a Servo Drill for my small hole drilling, it has a very sensitive feel. I have observed that tiny drills from the same pack, will vary a lot, in how they drill. Some have a great feel, and really want to cut, but the next one seems like I have to force it to cut.. Those go in the trash can before they break..

I recently bought a couple of No. 120 twist drills, and was marveling at them as well. How in the world could you presision grind something like that for 6 bucks? I could hardly see them, yet they drilled just fine! How are they held? What kind of wheel? It's just amazing!

Some of the smaller ones were forged. Where I worked they held the blank in an RF heater. When hot it dropped down into a chuck and then 4 moving jaws wound the spiral in. You then cut the nasty piece at the tip off, ran it through a centerless for the outside edges and then did the point grind. The normal process was indeed called a flute grind and was done in flood oil coolant. A lot of it ended up in the air even though they were totally enclosed.

Chris P

Maybe we havent lost the noun drill after all. The originator called them drill bits. Of the seven current replies, six used the proper terminology drill or twist drill, and one did not use any name. I observe that some marketing people are now using the term drill bit to designate their product. The use of drill motor for electric drill is quaint.

Jim

Maybe we havent lost the noun drill after all. The originator called them drill bits. Of the seven current replies, six used the proper terminology drill or twist drill, and one did not use any name. I observe that some marketing people are now using the term drill bit to designate their product. The use of drill motor for electric drill is quaint.

Jim

Ease up, Jim -- this was just an idle question, not one with anything riding on it.

You might say it was just a drill ... :)

We've got some .002" drill bits here. I have no idea how they're made. They look like normal bits under the microscope; amazing stuff. More amazing is that they really work! Smallest bit I've seen was .001". I've heard of a .0005" bit but haven't seen one. :crazy: Seems impossible to manufacture.

drill making

There is a drill manufacturing company in Homeworth , Ohio that I toured about 20 years ago. I think it might be called Ohio Drill..... Anyway, they were grinding the tiny drills on what looked like prehistoric homemade grinders. Nothing fancy at that time as one might expect.

Markus

Back