What's new
What's new

Samson and Pacific scale miniture engines.

Lester Bowman

Hot Rolled
Hi Guys.
I have recently registered to PM but have enjoyed learning here for years.It is by far the finest site I have ever found and there is something for everyone here.Thank You!
During the last eight years I have built two scale internal combustion engines.They are built to one third scale making them somewhat more than just a "model".I made all the patterns in Mahogany and had the castings made in cast iron.All the machineing techniques were old school done the old way because I wanted not only to experience the pleasure of creating a beautiful scale but also the sastisfaction of experiencing what the "old timers felt" when a difficult task was accomplished.
The first engine is a Samson gas engine originating in Stockton,Cal circa 1902.The second engine is a Pacific Vapor engine circa 1880 built in San Francisco cal. The flywheel diameter in 12" diameter on both engines.
If there is any interest in seeing pictures of these I will post them but I'm not sure the subject matter is appropiate in this forum.Is "General" the right forum or should these pictures perhaps be in the antique section?
I feel some of you would enjoy seeing these pictures because we all appreciate something well built by good tools and imagination.Thanks!

Thanksguys for the incouragement! These pictures show my one third scale Samson Gas Engine.The original engine (in my garage) is a 5 hp engine made under the early pattern from 1898 to 1907.
Samson engines of this style were primarily used for irrigation purposes being sold with Samson centrifugal pumps as a package.This engine (the scale) is 1.750 bore with a 3.412 stroke.Flywheel diameter is 12'' with a .687 diameter crank journal.Bearings are poured babbitt tinned into the shells.Piston and all castings are cast iron.Cylinder and head are water cooled like the full size Samson.
Igniter and carburetor work as the original as well as the governor.The beautiful little nameplate was made for me by two good friends (lost wax) The little Samson engine sounds exactly like the full size engine.It is as near to the original as I could make it.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,260
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,420
  • IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,097
The following pictures show my one third scale Pacific Vapor engine copied from a 2 hp engine made about 1880 in San Francisco by Pacific Gas engine co.It uses a protrusion on the head of the piston to contact an insulated electrode mounted through the cylinder wall for spark.
It has a 11.750 dia flywheel with 1.750 bore x 2.000 stroke.Bearings through out are babbited and shimmed as original.Cylinder and head are water cooled.I had to cheat and use a spark plug because the initial design of this engine allows ignition to only occur after top dead center.
It is a gearless four stroke engine using a crossover cam and lift cam for valve events.It also has a "dog bone" centrifugal governor with a latching mechanism to control engine speed (hit and miss governing) The pipeing includes air and gas cocks to obtain a combustible charge of either gasoline vapor or any other combustible gas.( I use propane) The little Pacific runs very well.

Attachments

• IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 808
Absolutely superb work. Thank you for posting the pictures and welcome to PM!

Quote: "I feel some of you would enjoy seeing these pictures because we all appreciate something well built by good tools and imagination." You missed mentioning the most important factor, impeccable craftsmanship.

Steve

Exquisite work on both engines, won't call them models, to damn nice and sized right. A friend has that exact Sanson, lots of detail on it, beautiful engine, lots going on and around when it runs. Thanks for the pics, X3 what everybody has said about them. Nice job. Take care, Jon.:cheers::bowdown::bowdown:

Beautiful! Gorgeous castings - you don't want to hide them under paint. I wish I could say the same for my Breisch hit'n'miss, but I just hate painting, that's all. Tell us how you made the cross-over cam.

Outstanding! Thanks for providing photos of your fine work. I second the praise of the castings, their cast finish and sprue cut offs showing add greatly to the realism of a scaled replica. Your pattern work to produce them shows well. The honest effort to make a scaled replica of the original comes through even in the machined finishes. Great job.

The following pictures show my one third scale Pacific Vapor engine copied from a 2 hp engine made about 1880 in San Francisco by Pacific Gas engine co.It uses a protrusion on the head of the piston to contact an insulated electrode mounted through the cylinder wall for spark.
It has a 11.750 dia flywheel with 1.750 bore x 2.000 stroke.Bearings through out are babbited and shimmed as original.Cylinder and head are water cooled.I had to cheat and use a spark plug because the initial design of this engine allows ignition to only occur after top dead center.
It is a gearless four stroke engine using a crossover cam and lift cam for valve events.It also has a "dog bone" centrifugal governor with a latching mechanism to control engine speed (hit and miss governing) The pipeing includes air and gas cocks to obtain a combustible charge of either gasoline vapor or any other combustible gas.( I use propane) The little Pacific runs very well.

These two engines almost bring tears to my eyes. Really!
This is the Cream of Craftsmanship! Why? Because the Craftsmanship is there, ALL the way through the project, from Pattern, to Completion. The Pattern Quality shows through on to the Castings.

One question remains. How hard did you have to stamp your foot so your wife would let you bring these old oily engines into the Living Room/Den and it's beautiful carpet? Be honest. :) She must be a very cool lady.

Best regards,

Stanley Dornfeld

Thanks guys.A few thoughts about the building of these engines and then I'll proceed with more photos.
I have tremendous respect for these men who built these engines over a century ago.I have owned almost a dozen Samson engines throughout the years and each one has it's fitted componets stamped with a single digit number.. a number identifying the man who assembled it.Samsons marked with a number 3 always stood out from the rest.The file work done by number 3 was equisite and precise....beautiful work showing great skill and pride.Who was this man? I always wonder about him when admiring his skillful fitting of governor and rods.
I built these engines out of deep respect and high regard for men who worked in dimly lit shops and dark foundrys.Who done the impossible by strength and skill...who took the yoke off the backs of men by explosive vapor turning a flywheel.It is so sad...only a number 3 survives on cast brass to indicate a craftsman ever touched that piece.But in my mind he lives...because I see humanity in file marks and beautifully fitted parts.
When I machined the inside bearing bosses on the Pacific crankcase I used a shaper.This required an extended table and long reach tools.It was late at night and very still and only the machining process was audible.But in my mind I was thinking back to the old machine shops where the identical process was being done.I was hearing the same sound and smelling the same iron....I could almost hear the voices of the old machinists speak...well done.
My purpose was to use as much as possible the old machining processes to make the same parts albeit in a smaller size.When this is done something different comes into play.It is such an important part of recreating something in minature that without it the whole essense is lost.
This essense is being able to experience what the machinist a century ago experienced...getting into his head so to speak.Doing this allows me to appreciate all the aspects of creating an engine from the old pattern...and feeling (and thinking) what he felt.In my way of thinking this adds immeasurably to the experience plus gives me a deep appreciation for what he accomplished.It provides me with a deeper awareness for who "number 3" was and establishes for me a higher standard of what to strive for.I hope this makes sense.
There is an art form inherent in fine machinery.These old time builders designed great beauty in form and function...even today takeing our breath away.Studying these objects reveal such a deep understanding of material and shaping processes.We are not more skilled nor capable then they...when compared to their shops and machines.
There are literally thousands of such small engines being built today.A friend of mine uses CNC to do his.That is what he enjoys and that is fine...but it is not my cup of tea.To me he loses the insight gained from doing things the old way and thus losing the incredible appreciation gained from experiencing doing things the old way.
I will admit I have a vertical mill and used it on both engines...but if I had a small planer in my shop I would definitely have used it.I would have left the planing marks as well revealing the process.My point is this.A moment in time from a century ago revealed in a modern object is a wonderful thing.However its true value allows us to know those men who created it....and gives us a deeper understanding of who we are.

Lester Bowman

You are right on the money Sir.

Those fellows KNEW the interface of the tool into the Iron and how to work the metal. That knowledge is the essence of machining. The rest is a sense of pride, and the willingness to develop it.

Again, best regards,

Stan-

These pictures show the set up I used to machine the cross over cam.The fixture allows one half the cam track to be cut.The cam is then reversed and re-indexed and the other side of the track cut.
The movement is controlled by a one lobed face cam spring loaded against a follower (small ball bearing) which is stationary.The same shaft where the face cam mounts also carrys the crossover cam blank.This "cam shaft" moves back and forth following the contour of the face cam.
The blank cam is indexed into the correct position and the cut started into the center line of where the two grooves crossover.The cut follows the face cam as the "cam shaft" moves back and forth.
The fixture is chain driven by a little 50/1 boston gear reduction box driven by a small electric motor and belt.All this is mounted on a little vintage horizontal mill with a vertical head attachment.
Also seen are the "lift cam" and follower.All these bits and pieces make up the "gearless" mechanism which allows four cycle valve events to occur in the little Pacific Vapor engine.I tried to get a close up of the cam on the engine but the pics were too blurry...
A few other photos of the Pacific are provided as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 624
Lester

Great looking engines. I think the cast brass name plate really complements the look of a fine engine.
You might post some pictures on "homemodelenginemachinist" forum. I'm sure they will all enjoy your work.

Hal

Lester, that is just wonderful work. One thing i really like is the authentic finish and details; no mirror polishing and not a cap head screw to found. imo on projects like this its the constant attention to those and all the other little details that sets some efforts like that above the crowd; congratulations.

Lester, you don't know me, but I've seen your Pacific and Samson in Benton City. Your workmanship is beyond superb. For sure, you've done a great job of duplicating the old-time craftsmanship of Number 3, whoever he might be. He would be very proud of you.

Best regards,

Orrin

Last edited:

Back