What's new
What's new

Sandvik Advertising. Is it working?

Shop Supply Guru

Hot Rolled
Just curious.

I very often get Sandvik ads when on PM. Do you guys use much Sandvik? I know a see a number of faithful Sandvik users post but they generally have something really specific they do that Sandvik is good at. I'm not so convinced that Sandvik is so great in terms of performance these days. Good yes I believe the vast majority of their tools are "good". But are you using a newer Sandvik tool that just takes the cake?

Their new stuff looks cool but not sure it's practical. anybody using their newer funky turning inserts?

Sorry for the rambling post just want to pick your brains.

Their new stuff looks cool but not sure it's practical. anybody using their newer funky turning inserts?

Sorry for the rambling post just want to pick your brains.

Prime turning is the real deal. We've done it, and it blew my mind how much faster it was.
Sandvik has great stuff, for both milling and turning. And we try to buy as much as possible because we get such a huge discount with them it would be silly to go elsewhere.

Of course we use a lot of other brands for mill tooling, like Guhring, OSG, etc... but for the lathes and carbide drills we're almost exclusively Sandvik.

They have some really good products like the century facemill with PCD inserts... but their support is lacking. Out here all the long term sandvik guys have left for other brands because of upper management and direction (mitsubishi, sumitomo, etc etc)

We have been primarily Sandvik shop for years. I buy tools from most of the big names (and many smaller names too), but most come from Sandvik. They are not the best at everything, but they are pretty close to it, and they do have a fair few products that are simply unmatched.

If I could use only one tool supplier for the rest of my life it would be Sandvik, without hesitation.

Their marketing is a lot of gloss and flair, but there is a good amount of genuinely useful data there too. Agree that their on the ground support is not so good these days, 10 years ago we had a really good rep that knew his shit and he sold us on them. Current rep is all hot air and bullshit and I don't entertain him.

Back