What's new
What's new

Sawing, drilling and router cut-out of LP smart side paneling.

michiganbuck

Diamond
I will be engaging in the high production fabricating of LP Smart side paneling of about 5/16 thickness (called 3/8.)
Will need to cut off on the 48" width to 7' long, drill some drill holes, elongate some holes, paint the edges, and cut out a couple window designs now being done with a router and fixture by hand. Thinking about getting a CNC router for the windows but now limited on start up funds.
* Mostly want to know what cutting tools seem best for this material.
Likely have to fabricate some budget automation and fixtures. Will make up a track saw

Onsruud makes tooling for that, they make their money on cutters for strange materials. I would call them and tell them what you're cutting and they'll tell you which cutter they make for that.

Don't discount makeing up a better router template and just going at it. A smaller but good quality smaller vari speed router can work wonders on jobs like this, full size template and it may be faster than a second op on a track saw.

Not familiar with the product mentioned, but one of the ways we used to make production router or (wood) shaper templates was to apply formica to a sheet of 1/4" plywood. Then sand the formica 100 or 120 grit to rough it up, and glue 2 sheets face to face. So now there is a sandwich with 1/4" plywood on the outer layers, and about 1/8" stripe of formica in the middle. This makes a pretty durable pattern, also reversible if desired for RH/LH parts. I would sometimes add small screws here and there to keep the sheets from shifting if the contact cement gave a little. Can't say if that was really necessary. Drill through the formica layers first, & don't put metal fasteneers near edges or cut-outs where they might split the formica.

I usually made the first pattern in plain good plywood 3/8" thick, and machined and filed/sanded the openings to contour. Then used that to cut the production pattern. Of course there is some calculating and perhaps some fitting, to make things work with the desired router collar size and bit size.

smt

LP Smart Side is a plywood like product made to replace cement board. Cement board was too heavy and contractors were complaining. Smart side is a little harder to cut and route than many plywoods Perhaps like Marine but not as tough as Masonite. When Put up by a licensed contractor on a home it is warranted for 50 years.
No we wont get that 50 years but can mention it to our customers.
We have a test piece that has been setting in a bucket of water, now for 11 months and it is still holding together.
3/8 Smart Side weight about 43 lb, Cement board about 64 lb.
Yes it is likely Cement Board is longer life but weight is an important factor in out product.

Back