What's new
What's new

Milling SmallParts

railbuff

Plastic
I need to mill a 0.003" high step off a piece of brass that is only 1/4" x 3/8" and only 0.049 thick at one end and 0.052" thick at the other end. Any suggestions as to how to hold it, apart from soldering it to a larger piece, then gripping it in the milling machine vice. Double sided carpet tape?

soft jaws would be the easiest.....machine a 0.052 deep pocket...and let it hit the jaws at the 0.049 step...thats what i would do...clamp lightly...use a torque wrench for repeatablity.....i sometimes use a 3M double sided tape thats around 0.006 thick (i forget exactly)...i've bent some small parts trying to remove them (which is really easy)

3m double side tape then dump in acetone or petrol or whatever solvents available for a couple of hours, should slip right off, i've gotten impatient and tried a hotplate to make things worse and ended up with burnt fingers and bent parts, joys of work i suppose
mark

How many parts?

If it is only one part, use a file or sandpaper. Dykem and then just take off the blue. Hold the part and put the file on the bench or sandpaper on a plate.

If you have a small grinding vise, put it in that. Then you'll be able to put that in your milling vise. You'll have a better feel for how hard to squeeze it in a small vise.

Simplesteelcutter

Clean all surfaces to be glued with acetone. Glue part down with superglue. Lightly heat to remove,soak in acetone for residue. I mill small parts by putting a piece of 1/4" steel in the vise. Take a little cut to make it level. Then,the 1/4" plate can easily be heated afterwards to remove the part.

Agree with gwilson on this one. I have done the same thing many times, works great. Sometimes tape is a b*tch to get off withput bending your part. Easier to get part level with the super glue than with the tape also.

Good Luck,
Michael

Back