What's new
What's new

Scraping Class in Dallas?

TGTool

Titanium
I'm looking for someone in the Dallas area willing to find or even just make good suggestions for a venue for a scraping class there. I'm in Oklahoma and can do much of the organizing but at this point don't have a week to drive around Dallas looking and making cold calls.

I'm happy to call and negotiate with any place that's a reasonable possibility if someone on the ground can scout those possibilities. If there are no sturdy volunteers I'll look next at Austin where there are some prospects but my first choice would be Dallas to draw more from Oklahoma, Arkansas and nearby.

I think the prospect won't seriously compete with the planning for a class in the upper midwest and perhaps there would be ways to cooperate or help Forrest and Don who are doing the most serious traveling.

I'm located in Garland TX (a burb of Dallas) and would be happy to help locate a place for it. What are you thinking about as far as facilities go? I have my e-mail listed if you'd like to contact me that way......Stillwater, thats where dam boone pickens is right? :)

Steve

There used to be a place in Dallas called "Machine Tool & Repair" last time i saw an advertisement for them was about 6 years ago. If they were still around they might let us have a a "scraping class" there.

I'll check with a friend of mine in Ft Worth, he may allow us to use their facility. They have lots of "cast iron" we could use! Maybe even give those of us participating a discount!

Count me in, I'm interested.:drool5:

Ken Stokley

Contact Lazlo (screen-name) at Home Shop Machinist. He and a few others are trying to organize a scraping class in the Dallas area which Don and I would be proud to teach.

Count me in as a paying attendee, and return customer at that! I'd love to have another go with the power scraper! Got a few smaller projects around that I will bring this time as well.

I don't know if they would be willing to host, but Commerce Grinding in Dallas has tons of room. The head cheese is a nice guy and might even be interested in having a few of his own folks take the class.

I don't know if they would be willing to host, but Commerce Grinding in Dallas has tons of room. The head cheese is a nice guy and might even be interested in having a few of his own folks take the class.

Would you be willing to raise the question with him at least tentatively. He can't say yes without more details but he could say no categorically. If it's even a provisional yes I'd talk more detail with him, see what his requirements are, possible dates, etc.

Jan

I can do it if nobody from Dallas can. But I live 2.2 hours away in Temple TX. I have been to CG, had a tour and had some work done. I don't have a very strong connection. I would prefer having a local person make the contact.

I can do it if nobody from Dallas can. But I live 2.2 hours away in Temple TX. I have been to CG, had a tour and had some work done. I don't have a very strong connection. I would prefer having a local person make the contact.

Sorry, I didn't know how close a connection and wasn't paying attention to your location. Steve offered to look for a location and he's nearby so let me see if he'd pick that up. Thanks for the suggestion in any case.

Would you be willing to raise the question with him at least tentatively.

I'm sure we could get John (Texas Turnado) to talk to them -- he's in Garland and a regular customer. I think he also wants to take the scraping class.

I'm located in Garland TX (a burb of Dallas) and would be happy to help locate a place for it. What are you thinking about as far as facilities go? I have my e-mail listed if you'd like to contact me that way......Stillwater, thats where dam boone pickens is right? :)

Steve

Steve, PM sent and email sent. I'd like to keep this idea percolating if you've got a preferred modality for talking.

Jan

Scraping and rebuilding

Dear members, Now that I m semi retired, I would like to come and also teach at any of your classes. I have a friend in VA, St. Louis, Detroit, Indy where I think I can use parts of their shops to help arrange seminars in the future too. I can help the others who teach as I am sure when you have 20 or 30 people there it's hard to give one on one help. I also include in my instruction many simple tricks of the trade I have used in my 30+ year career of machine tool rebuilding and teaching scraping in the machine tool building industry . I have a lake home in central MO and I could drive down to OK or TX from there. I also can bring along 4 Biax scapers, 1 Biax flaker, several hand scrapers, straightedges, King-Way aligners, levels, Glendo grinder, etc to enhance the learning experience.
I also teach how to use Turcite* and Rulon* Teflon* wear-strip materials, talk about Moglice* and how to scrape these products, how to straighten, scrape and adjust gibs, lube systems and grooves, Q&A, etc. Last class we worked 12+ hour days. Rich

Last edited:
Dear Dallas Scraper Students,
I will be in Dallas July 17th week teaching a 5 day class for a company and it is full, but if anyone can host a weekend class on the 24, 25th I will stay and teach a mini 2 day class for you. My airplane ticket will have been paid for and I will have my equipment with. The numbers are that important as long as I am there. So 1 to 8 students is cool...Can cal me at 651 338 8141...Rich King

Back