What's new
What's new

Scraping Class in the Midwest

ChipHeadWayne

Aluminum
Hello All,

We are putting together a scraping class in the Midwest. I'm thrilled that Forrest Addy and Don Roberts have agreed to teach. They are real pros from and have a knack for teaching in an enjoyable way. I'm suggesting we shoot for April 2011.

Location is TBD - once we get the class roster solidified we'll pick a locale as central as practical. Right now Toledo, Ohio is starting to look central, but we're open to suggestions. Toledo is a several hour drive via Interstate from Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Michigan.

We are currently accepting enrollment. Contact me via PM or post here if you are interested. Right now we have about 7 interested members - if you can give me your email via PM, I'll pass along more information as I receive it. We'll need a few more classmates to get started.

Cost is a couple of hundred dollars, but you gain much more than that in use of tools, materials, etc. People bring surface plates, straightedges, hand scrapers, biax power scrapers, lapping wheels, alignment jigs and gages etc that you would not have access to normally. You can bring your own project, or we can supply you with a small project to start. We will finalize the cost as the class comes together. It's a fraction of the cost to recondition just one machine, for a skill that will last a lifetime.

For anyone interested in reconditioning old machinery, the master craftsmanship involved in building our machines, and continuing to learn new skills, this is a great opportunity. I can't wait -- Hope to see you there.

As always, your input is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Wayne

I would also be very interested, but due to my work I would need to know exactly when, where and how much its going to cost. I would love to have an expert hand to guide me to rescrape the ways on my M-head.

I can't say enough good about the tag team duo of Forrest and Don, I have hosted two of these scraping classes and everyone has a great time. To those who are tight on $$ let me say that the class is a great value and well worth the approx $200 quoted. You will learn an amazing amount and you will make friends and you can buy swap sell your extra stuff.

This is a rate opportunity, Forrest has unbelievable peth of knowledge and Don is the Master of metrology.

Also, if the organizers have any questions feel free to email me [email protected]

David Feinberg Seattle WA

Schedule it just before the NAMES show & you'll be swamped with attendees.
(or right after);)

What a GREAT idea. Problem is, though, NAMES is over a weekend, and I think most people would prefer a weekend for the class. I know I would, anyway. Maybe we can work something out. Hmmm.

This will be a 2 day class, over the weekend. I'm thrilled and overwhelmed by everyone's interest - looks like we will have enough for a class with over thirty interested and growing. The planning is moving forward and I hope to have a weekend picked and a rough idea of cost soon.

Thanks for all your interest!
Wayne

Scraping class Toledo YES !

Wonderfull. . . .:drool5:

I'm busy as can be often working almost till midnight, but this is a rare in a lifetime opportunity count me in. . . . PM sent

David Lawrence

Howabout a class on spindles and precision bearings

How about another 2 or 3 days covering precision bearings , spindles , mounting , evaluations etc ?

David Lawrence

Back