What's new
What's new

Scraping in Huntsville Alabama

Marcibb

Hot Rolled
This is to check on interest, this class would be a 40hrs class held in Huntsville, Alabama in December 2011 probably between the 17th and 21ft.

There is 20 slots available.

Please post a reply if you are interested

Marci

Not sure of the cost I am thinking below $800 it will depend on how much the school wants and how many students will be attending I may be able to cut a deal with the local Hotel 8 for a group rate if there are enough interested in that.

I am talking to Richard King but I also plan to ask Forest nothing is set right now I just want to see how much interest there is.

Marci

I have chatted with Richard King this morning we have decided that the emphasis of the class would be on scraping techniques and scraping for aliment, IE scraping to bring some life back to your older machine. The main objectives here are that at the end of the class/seminar one should have a firm understanding of how to go about scraping and scraping in a machine, mill, lathe or what ever.

Please understand that a one week/40hrs course will not make you an expert scraper or machine refurbisher that take years of practice.

The dates being considered are December 17 through the 20 or 21st or 19 through the 22 or 23rd

Yes the cost estimate of $800 is on the high side, I find that people are much happier when the cost goes down, than when it must be increased so, for this sort of undertaking, tend to estimate high.

As it stands now the course/seminar will be held at Drake State Technical College in Huntsville, Alabama yet I will not be able to lock this in until mid August so there is a possibility of a location change.

Also even tho the class room/shop can handle 20 students the class would be limited to around 10 to 12 students a more practical number.

Please post any comments suggestions or question here so others could benefit from them.

I have not yet talked with Forest Andy or Don and have not committed to an instructor yet this is still in the very early stages of organizations.

Marci

Hello everyone, I guess I should have posted this earlier but I was occupied with family affairs.

I chatted with Don a few days ago and he proposes a 2 part course the first part would be devoted to basic scraping techniques and the second would be on scraping for alignment (on an actual machine).

I already have 3 firm committed (ready to sent there money now) people with my self and the Machine Shop Instructor that leaves 5 openings. And I have not advertized other than here, so there is plenty of interest.

If there is enough demand I can try to make a bulk purchase of quality hand scrapers or maybe scraper blade kits theses are the ones Dapra sells
hand-scraper.jpg
gauge.jpg

Machinerepair.com sell 3 versions this one.
scrapers_1.jpg

Neither one seams like it would difficult to make, personally I like the Machinerepair.com model over the Dapra.

Marci

I have scraped thousands of hours with both..the DAPRA type is for the pro's You can make one like Mike did in my Ashland WI. In my classes I let the student try all of them and 99% like the DAPRA type. The key is they are flexible...the other ones are to stiff..

Sent PM but you may not have recieved. I am living in Athens Alabama and would like to come to your class.

Please put me on the list and I will send cash when you are ready for it.

Charles Pipes

Well not sure how to put this but I will do my best.

Yesterday I meet with the people at Drake Technical college, the shop instructor, his boss, the dean everyone seamed to be enthusiastic about the scraping class, we agreed on dates and inventoried the required equipment (vices, extension cords, stout tables and so on) everything was on hand and available for us to use, great so far.

Then I meet the business director he was also very enthusiastic; then he started on the cost, like so much per square foot, so much for the lights, so much for the security guard to unlock the doors in the morning, so much for the security guard to lock them up at night, so much for heating the place, so much for insurance, and on and on after all was done this was going to add a good $100 maybe more per scraping class student, and then thy also wanted there students and staff to be granted a 50% discount on class cost, I politely said thank you but no thanks.

I am looking for an alternate suitable local for the class to be held so everything is up in the air.

I will let everyone know if, when and where the class will be held.

I apologize for not having my ducks in a row before mentioning my plans here.

Marci

Marci, if you've not completely severed negotiations with the college I suggest you counter with an offer in line with customary charges for a local community room, hotel conference space, a small fairgrounds exhibit hall, etc. Note that much of the charge he's piling on is existing operating cost (security, lights, parking, heat, etc) the school would incur for that space anyway. Submit that a reasonable charge would include the space with furnishings and instruction equipment, janitor, door locks, and two free slots (worth $400 to $700) for college people they select (no undefined number at half price.) In the past we've paid between $150 and $450 for a two day venue for a well equipped classroom lab venue (South Seattle Community College Seattle WA, fairgrounds at Newport Beach OR). The same venue, idle for the same weekend, would earn nothing.

Recruit your most enthusiastic highest placed supporter on the school staff saying "Love to hold the class here but your business guy thinks we should pay for running the whole place when we only need lab space."

These are hard times. Business guys tend to play hardball focusing on immediate bottom line and piling-on charge without regard to long-term benefit, community good, preservation of a craft that was once the keystone of an entire industry etc and the fact that yours is a grass roots organization not a for-profit snake oil promotion. You have to cut bean counters some slack: they only see beans -no vision. That's why they make poor adminstrators and leaders.

Another Idea

If one of you has a small shop or big garage(AC in the summer) where you have your machines we can do a class there. Last spring I did a class in Wisconsin in a 2 stall garage that the student had a small shop attached. He parked the cars outside and that where we held the class. 2 weeks ago in Dallas the student had a metal shop behind his house approx 30 x 30 where we held the class.
We had 8 students there. I would be happy to do the instruction for $600.00 each if we can do a 8 students and I think I could handle 4 more if you had that many. The advantage of this is the host gets a machine she/he owns tested, partially scraped and I advise them (plus the host is free for letting us using the space) on how to finish it. I know Robert will have his Bridgeport apart, but I don't think he has the room. The other students are invited to bring along a small personal project I can help them scrape. I bring along Biax Power Scrapers and all the tools needed. We do not need some big area to learn. Check out the photo's from the Ashland and Arlington classes on here and you can see what we used. I am also teaching a class in Oakland Ca this coming weekend and we have space for one more student. But keep an eye open for those photo's we will post next week. That post is under Metal Scraping Class or Camp Scrape. I am positive if you email DH, Al or Nathan the hosts of those classes they can tell you more.

Possible Place to Hold Class.

I have just been talking with Richard King on the subject of a place to teach a small class.

I live north west of Huntsville (just the other side of Athens for the locals).

My shop is in my Basement and is 30 by 30 with a 20 by 30 man cave next to it where we could view training material and it has a restroom. It is aircondidtioned/heated with a garage door we could bring projects in through.

Having had odds and end tools for years I have started adding machinery for my retirement project of building a model steam locomotive.

This effort would require me to clean out the center area and put together a couple of heavy tables for us to work on. I would also need to find a surface plate for us to use. I am sure Mr. King can give advice on what I need to drag up. I can also provide a two ton lift projects.

Talking to the women of my life, having people in would be no problem. We have local hotels about 15 miles from the house.

Needless to say this offer is based on the fact we would have to have enough interest to bring Mr. King here for. The date to do it is also a problem as I travel with my work and will have to work it into my schedule.

Please send a PM if you are interested in this offer. I am also in the Athens Phone book.

Charlie Pipes

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 265

Back