What's new
What's new

Semi OT: Where do you start hunting for your next gig?

toolsteel

Titanium
The shop I work at is a decent place. Clean, good pay..58K /year base at top of scale as a machinist on the floor, there are positions that pay a bit more that can be worked in to, a bit light on vacation time, decent benefit package with profit sharing, medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement. I will admit that if you start here as an intern pay is a bit low......or if you start at the bottom of the scale it takes 3 years to top out.....where you start on the scale can be negotiated based on your experience. Anyhow.....its not a bad gig by my standards.
Here is my question(s). We seem to have a lack of applicants. Talking to HR they tell me we are advertising on a job search website. I am just shy of 50....so maybe I am considered "old school" .....but if tomorrow I needed a job I would run off about 20 copies of my resume, shave, put on some decent clothes and go knocking on some doors of shops I am aware of looking to drop off a resume and maybe, if I was in the right place at the right time get an interview. My next step would be the internet.....
Currently (I believe) if you show up here on our doorstep knocking, you are told to submit your resume on line. Is this common practice? It seems to me if I was applying for an upper management position or similar that internet contact would probably be step #1.....I wouldnt be knocking on a door. But it seems silly to me not to take someones resume from their hand and have a 5 minute sit down, if not a real interview.
I guess my real question is......is their actually a lack of machinist' right now or is our HR department burning us by expecting machinist' to act like CEO's? Or....am I out of touch (possibly more than one correct answer...lol) I havent searched for a job for 25 years.

The shop I work at is a decent place. Clean, good pay..58K /year base at top of scale as a machinist on the floor, there are positions that pay a bit more that can be worked in to, a bit light on vacation time, decent benefit package with profit sharing, medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement. I will admit that if you start here as an intern pay is a bit low......or if you start at the bottom of the scale it takes 3 years to top out.....where you start on the scale can be negotiated based on your experience. Anyhow.....its not a bad gig by my standards.
Here is my question(s). We seem to have a lack of applicants. Talking to HR they tell me we are advertising on a job search website. I am just shy of 50....so maybe I am considered "old school" .....but if tomorrow I needed a job I would run off about 20 copies of my resume, shave, put on some decent clothes and go knocking on some doors of shops I am aware of looking to drop off a resume and maybe, if I was in the right place at the right time get an interview. My next step would be the internet.....
Currently (I believe) if you show up here on our doorstep knocking, you are told to submit your resume on line. Is this common practice? It seems to me if I was applying for an upper management position or similar that internet contact would probably be step #1.....I wouldnt be knocking on a door. But it seems silly to me not to take someones resume from their hand and have a 5 minute sit down, if not a real interview.
I guess my real question is......is their actually a lack of machinist' right now or is our HR department burning us by expecting machinist' to act like CEO's? Or....am I out of touch (possibly more than one correct answer...lol) I havent searched for a job for 25 years.

Can't speak to shops, no experience applying anywhere but my current place, and we're a manufacturer, not a "shop" per se.

But yeah, 95% of places that aren't mom/pop shops don't want your paper resume, they want you to apply online and take their stupid 1-5 personality tests, and all that junk.

I mean, 14 years ago when I applied for my first (legal) job at Blockbuster, I had to come in and fill out the application on their application kiosk in the store, then wait to get a call from the manager.

Manager didn't call within 3 days, so I started going in every day after school to see if I could talk to him.

He was busy every time, told me to come back the next day. On Friday that week, I came in and there was a line out the door (This was 2002, Blockbuster was big business). He told me to have a seat and wait until he was free. I sat there for an hour without moving, until he finally realized I hadn't left and said "You really want this job, huh? Come back tomorrow, we'll do the paperwork".

Mostly doesn't work like that now, you can't show up to many places and just talk to a person about a job. They want to let the computers do the filtering out of bad candidates for them.

My $.02

We don't have an unlocked door for anyone to get in. Scared to death someone might drop off a backpack with confetti in it. I'm not actually sure how skilled individuals are hired but feel safe in saying it's an online application of some sort?

Unskilled labor comes from the unemployment office. With all the equal opportunity employer stuff we don't get a look at new hires until orientation.

No! We do not hire people based on abilities/resumes and such but rather something else? We all kinda see a pattern that has developed but it's not a policy wrote down anywhere.

Just a bit short of 50 myself and IMHO the days of waking and knocking on doors are over unless it is a small shop, in that case I see it as a huge plus to hand the resume over personally.

My 2 cents...

Brent

they want you to apply online and take their stupid 1-5 personality tests

but what about my other 3 or 4 personalities???
can we have a test too??

but yes online is the newest everything
then you do that
and the temp agencies get wind of you looking for work
and they start callin you for the next 6 months
even when you tell them your set
yes well
the world just keeps spinin faster

Back