What's new
What's new

"separator" cutoff tool issues

cg285

Stainless
manchester 206-179 tool holder with separator inserts

cuts fine for a few pieces then spits out the insert and ruins the blade and clamp
every thing is square and a hair below center. today's issue is from cutting heads off of 5/16 solid steel rivets.
is it possible that the rpm is too slow (60)? just as bad at 110. thinking i should speed up a good deal but a little nervous. already way red in this job

60 RPM? Are you serious? What is your chip load? I have found the Separator dogbone tooling to be rather bullet-proof, but I try to run it 250 fpm and higher, and 0.003 ipr feed and higher. You need to be at 3,000 RPM. You could get away with lower, if the chip load is sane, since the fpm toward the center drops regardless and the tooling is meant to handle that.

I like all the normal advice, and have your tool set-up more centered over saddle..all too often I see guys having tool holder far to the left so cutting forces are pushing down to less support. That doesn't hurt very much to have a little twist for a tool bit, but cut-off blades don't do well with it.

2k (my max) and .002 ipr and works slick. years of trouble parting i kept going in the wrong direction. a problem with being self taught.

Back