What's new
What's new

Serrated bar with slot - where to find?

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
I know I have seen these in the past but am not recalling where or what their proper name was. Hoping someone here does. It is what amounts to basically a piece of bar stock that has serrations along one face and a slot or even a t-slot along the length of it. Looking to make some fixturing/work holding and trying to speed the process by purchasing this detail if possible.

I have checked Reid, McMaster, etc... even Amazon. No love. Likely due simply not knowing the proper nomenclature. Ideally, looking for bar approximately 1”-1.5” x 0.75”-1” x 4” long.

Anyone know, or know where to find it?

Thanks.

No. Not like a key way broach, not hold down block. Like a locking plate. Just basically a piece of rectangular bar stock with a t-slot down its length and serrations on the top face which happen to be at right angle to said t-slot. I’ll model something quickly and post it in a bit.

Like this?

I have some extras of these.

63131-na-bikers-choice-primary-chain-adjuster-plate-kit-for-harley-davidson-big-twin_1000_1000.jpg

Very similar, Mud. Thanks. Like the attached pic. The slot can straight, or even something different. I can always murdify that part. But finding the block would be nice.

Attachments

• SERRATED-BAR.jpg
    SERRATED-BAR.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 411
CNC bar pullers have a bar like that:
Royal Compact CNC Bar Pullers
Maybe Royal will sell just the replacement bar or knows of a source for it?
Bill

Hi Bill,

You are smarter than I look. No... wait... Nevermind... You are correct, Sir. The thing is that Royal wants $795 for that puller, and half that for just the bar. Meanwhile, there are guys/companies making the exact same affair for $300, complete. No one wants to talk about the serrated blocks for knowing why people are asking. Hence, the search.

Guess I'll just have to wire up what I want and do other paying things in the turning and machining centers while it runs.

Thanks!

Hi Bill,

You are smarter than I look. No... wait... Nevermind... You are correct, Sir. The thing is that Royal wants $795 for that puller, and half that for just the bar. Meanwhile, there are guys/companies making the exact same affair for $300, complete. No one wants to talk about the serrated blocks for knowing why people are asking. Hence, the search.

Guess I'll just have to wire up what I want and do other paying things in the turning and machining centers while it runs.

Thanks!

Do you have a gear shop local? Might be able to make up a couple of serrated "racks" and you mill slot and cut to length.

Bill

Thanks!

Basic lathe jaw type serrations? If 60's, stand it up at a 60 and blast it with a dovetail cutter.
For 90's that my lathe takes I have a soft jaw that will hold any stock at a 45, and then I blast it
with a square corner endmill. I can do a 4" long, 1.5" wide jaw with .0625 spacing in about 2 minutes.

Do you have a gear shop local? Might be able to make up a couple of serrated "racks" and you mill slot and cut to length.
Bill

LOL! Sorry. Had to chuckle at that one.
Still, despite milling racks from Blue Moon to Blue Moon ( not nearly as common as it used to be ) for whatever reason, I just don't have a serration mill on hand at the moment. Plus, see below...

Basic lathe jaw type serrations? If 60's, stand it up at a 60 and blast it with a dovetail cutter. For 90's that my lathe takes I have a soft jaw that will hold any stock at a 45, and then I blast it with a square corner endmill. I can do a 4" long, 1.5" wide jaw with .0625 spacing in about 2 minutes.

I do have to positively agree with you, but in this case it's not a matter of skillfulness. It's a matter of timing. Kind of buried at the moment, and I need to keep the machining center and turning center fed while also running the gear making machines. It's easier to throw it in the WEDM and let it run while I stay productive, making money.

And THAT is the root of my wishing to purchase one.

Thanks, boys. Appreciate the time and input.

Bob, I rate them as ''fair to not bad'' but the UK is usually dearer than the US??? ......no direct price from Thame that I could find, but I ''know'' this outfits stock is Thame - click on a slot width ;- Rotagrip - Imperial Serrations

FWIW I'd be very very surprised if neither outfit ships to the US ;) ......and both have always been helpful to me :)

Carr Lane may have it or someone like J&S that make those dove tail clamps, some with serrations and some without on the bottom? Seems like the bar would compliment those, one could make a low profile vise/fixture with a pair of the bars mounted and four of the clamps.
Dan

Back