What's new
What's new

Thread rolling tools and stock supply

snowshooze

Stainless
Hi Guys!
I was just so pleased with thread forming that I can hardly wait to try thread rolling.
I have a slant lathe, and I want to try thread rolling 3/8" 24 tpi on it.
I have a pile of custom allen set screws I am making, ( Not hardened ) and rolling is the way to save time and turn marginal into profit.
So, I have a few questions maybe you guys could help with:
I am thinking a co-axial holder... roll in and roll out with no gymnastics.
I am thinking L1214 or leadloy.
And I am wondering where in heck I can source stock that is pre-sized for rolling.
Yeah, I can see it now.. offa truck, through the lathe... back onna truck...
I haven't looked too hard yet, but think I will start at Somma tool.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks!
Mark

Most people that do thread rolling center less grind the material to size. The diameter tolerance is usually pretty tight to result in the correct thread formation. I would look for someone local that specializes in center less grinding.

You might find your tooling costs take a big chunk out of your planned extra profit.

Other options, look at the old school die heads, they will out thread any cnc lathe i have read of. Yep its cutting, but in leaded steels its a one pass job for that kinda pitch thread. Longest i have done with mine is 7" of 1/4" thread on a 1/4" rod.

Couldn't you just turn the diameter you need, just before threading ?

I know you stated your running a slant bed, (assuming it's a cnc lathe)
But setting a box tool would hold size nicely, and provide a good finish.

+1 on geometric die head. Ebay cheap for the head, around 100 $ for the chaser set, cold rolled 3/8" stock, and run. Much much less $ than the thread roller holder, and the thread rolls are pitch specific too.

One more thing to think about, have Rolled Threads Unlimited roll the threads on your bars and cut the threaded bars up on a small screw machine. I have done this with cycle times of 5 to 10 secs with 303 stainless and save the slant bed for real CNC work.
Just noticed you are in Alaska, Shipping from Rolled Threads (Wisconsin) to Texas was no big deal for 50 to 100 lengths of 5/16-24 or 3/8-24 might be different to Alaska.

Back