What's new
What's new

Cast work benches

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
Have an old, very heavy duty workbench in the shop. We use it for injection molds. It's obviously cast, and Blanchard ground. There is a 3" Grid pattern under the bottom. Can't find any cast in manufacturer. It has very heavy cast legs as well, with a flat where the casters mount. Anyone have any idea who makes tables like this anymore? I'll try to get a picture up soon.

Size?

I have a 4' x 8' Challenge. Challenge Precision is still in business and still lists plates. Mine has .10 wide grooves in a 2" grid for the wheels of a Portage layout machine to run without scarring the top. Unfortunately, a previous owner's shop thought it would make a good grinding and welding table. The original .003 accuracy is now more like .030.

Lots of companies used to make cast iron tables, even the foundry at Kansas State College made 30" x 4' cast iron tables. Solid, not cored. Planed them as well.

Photos of what I'm looking for, or similar

Attachments

• 20160801_132054[1].jpg
    20160801_132054[1].jpg
    90 KB · Views: 338
  • 20160801_132046[1].jpg
    20160801_132046[1].jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 20160801_132031[1].jpg
    20160801_132031[1].jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 379
Is there a specific reason for having a cast iron table? You could easily get a 1-1/2" plate and weld some 4 x 4 x 1/2" square tubing under it for legs. I have a couple of these in my shop and they make excellent heavy duty tables (you could park a truck on them). Not as elegant as those cast ones, but very durable and versatile (easy to weld to)

Yes, there is. Cast iron is more elastic than crucible steel and it dampens vibrations better. It’s cheaper than steel, too.

there is no particular reason i have to have this table... I just wanted to see if I could find another one to match. its a pretty great bench for the cnc. I usually do all my layout on it when im building a new mold. S far ive put 3k pounds on it evenly distributed and it didnt miss a beat.

anyways.. if i cant find one, Ill just build a steel one.

Have an old, very heavy duty workbench in the shop. We use it for injection molds. It's obviously cast, and Blanchard ground. There is a 3" Grid pattern under the bottom. Can't find any cast in manufacturer. It has very heavy cast legs as well, with a flat where the casters mount. Anyone have any idea who makes tables like this anymore? I'll try to get a picture up soon.

I have one at the house. Used to have a gang of 4 drill presses mounted on it. They wore out, which tells you how old it is. It was used for a catchall here for years. Finally, on a clean up spree, the owners decided to move it outside, to be sold for scrap. Heavy SOB. So I cottoned on to it, paid scrap price for it, took it home, and mounted my reloading presses on it. Long as you don't stub your toe on it, it's great!

Yes, there is. Cast iron is more elastic than crucible steel and it dampens vibrations better. It’s cheaper than steel, too.

that's a contradiction. grey cast iron is a composite material obviously, so not "more elastic". dampens vibration better, yes, mostly because it is LESS "elastic". the graphite nodules form what are effectively small voids, much like the air in insulating foam, that impede the propagation of vibrational waves. most hot rolled plate is "open hearth" not "crucible" steel. "crucible" steel is a somewhat archaic term for higher quality steels that were re-melted in smaller (500-4000lbs) batches in crucibles, usually with the addition of alloying elements such as manganese, molybdenum, vanadium etc. electric arc furnaces are commonly used to make alloy steel now, with capacities of 100-200 tons. as far as "cheeper" well that depends. a modern plate mill can produce 4000 tons a day of 1" A36 plate. to produce 100 tons of cast iron, properly cooled, with a similar flatness, well, MUCH more costly, and you can only make a little piece (comparatively) at a time. it was once cheaper, before the mills existed..

Back