What's new
What's new

Shaper 415v - 240v

jlmtb1

Plastic
I recently purchased a 16" demco excelsior shaper and has a 1.5kw/2hp 415V electric motor on it.
Am I better off simply swapping to a 240v motor or is it possible to use a VFD (don't know much about them). I'm in Australia if that makes much of a difference

Thanks for the help
IMG_4013.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easiest to swap motor if 415 volts not available.
A vfd will not change the voltage.A transformer would.

Changing from star to delta would you loose HP? I thought I read it halves the power, I may be wrong and miss read it.
So swapping out the motor looks to be the simplest, however it has a electrical box on the side (see photo) do I just disconnect power completely to the box and just wire the 240v to a new on/off switch?

IMG_4016.JPG

I'm afraid your desire will be a bit more complicated. I see a transformer in the control box. This feeds something. These machines were designed to use a 4 wire service without neutral. These transformers will create a local low voltage supply that would feed control relays and/or a machine lamp. You must check it out before you do anything. I suspect your knowledge may not be up to it. If so, ask an electrician.

Changing from star to delta would you loose HP? I thought I read it halves the power, I may be wrong and miss read it.
So swapping out the motor looks to be the simplest, however it has a electrical box on the side (see photo) do I just disconnect power completely to the box and just wire the 240v to a new on/off switch?

View attachment 205676

It won't lose any power at all it just changes the voltage it runs on. Open up the motor terminal box if it has one and take a look at the terminals, most relatively modern motors have a range of voltages they can be configured to. It would be of benefit to find someone with some previous experience doing this sort of stuff. If you run a modern VFD you'll be disconnecting most of the contents of that electrical box and running power to the VFD unit direct.

Back