Close
Login to Your Account

Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shaper 415v - 240v

I recently purchased a 16" demco excelsior shaper and has a 1.5kw/2hp 415V electric motor on it.
    Am I better off simply swapping to a 240v motor or is it possible to use a VFD (don't know much about them). I'm in Australia if that makes much of a difference

Thanks for the help
    img_4013.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

easiest to swap motor if 415 volts not available.
    A vfd will not change the voltage.A transformer would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you can rewire the motor from star 415V configuration to 240V delta you'll be able to run it off 240V single phase with an inverter drive.

Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shaper 415v - 240v

Changing from star to delta would you loose HP? I thought I read it halves the power, I may be wrong and miss read it.
    So swapping out the motor looks to be the simplest, however it has a electrical box on the side (see photo) do I just disconnect power completely to the box and just wire the 240v to a new on/off switch?

img_4016.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm afraid your desire will be a bit more complicated. I see a transformer in the control box. This feeds something. These machines were designed to use a 4 wire service without neutral. These transformers will create a local low voltage supply that would feed control relays and/or a machine lamp. You must check it out before you do anything. I suspect your knowledge may not be up to it. If so, ask an electrician.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jlmtb1 View Post
    Changing from star to delta would you loose HP? I thought I read it halves the power, I may be wrong and miss read it.
    So swapping out the motor looks to be the simplest, however it has a electrical box on the side (see photo) do I just disconnect power completely to the box and just wire the 240v to a new on/off switch?

img_4016.jpg
    It won't lose any power at all it just changes the voltage it runs on. Open up the motor terminal box if it has one and take a look at the terminals, most relatively modern motors have a range of voltages they can be configured to. It would be of benefit to find someone with some previous experience doing this sort of stuff. If you run a modern VFD you'll be disconnecting most of the contents of that electrical box and running power to the VFD unit direct.