What's new
What's new

OT- Source for multimeter leads other than Pomona ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
And less expensive than Fluke ? Have had annoying number of Pomona failures over the years. Must be some Euro leads out there of good quality ....

These Extech leads are decent.
The insulation is not as thick as the Fluke leads, but it’s rated for 1000v and 10a (by someone :) )
I think I got them of Amazon
a47987848158eed0de3ca91c3c76f155.jpg

806e370697a0473c2f8b8c1b61ecfd21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not to hijack, but since you already got a good lead for leads, I'll ask - If you couldn't buy a Fluke meter, who makes the best cheap clone? I have a Fluke 87V, and its great, but I need two. The cheapie I picked up just doesn't cut it - slow readings, etc..

Extech?

Not to hijack, but since you already got a good lead for leads, I'll ask - If you couldn't buy a Fluke meter, who makes the best cheap clone? I have a Fluke 87V, and its great, but I need two. The cheapie I picked up just doesn't cut it - slow readings, etc..

Extech?

EEVBlog carries a few Brymen that have some nice specs. He has a ton of videos using the meters. $150 for the better one. Never used one but heard good things.

EEVblog BM786 Multimeter – EEVblog

You could also just find a used Agilent/Fluke/Whatever on Ebay for 1/2 price.

Extech?
Was told by some coworkers that harbor freight's high end model was pretty good for going out on the road where you want a meter that you won't lose sleep if you lose. So I bought one but now with Covid I haven't been on the road but it has worked pretty well around the house for simple stuff.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Yes, PROBE MASTER.

They have excellent probes. I have been in electronics for over 50 years and their probes and test leads are hands down the best I have ever used. Super flexible wire, gold plated tips, everything I want in a probe or test lead. And they will do custom test leads. I even got the meter leads with reversed banana sockets for the Simpson 260s that use that configuration: they are a standard product with them.

A bit more on their test probe wire. Yes, it has silicone insulation, but the wire itself is super flexible with hundreds of strands, not dozens like other test probe wire. I tried to buy wire like this but could not find a source. This allows their probe wire to be longer (48 inches is their standard length) while not being difficult to manage on the bench. It does not take a "set" as almost every other test probe wire I have ever used. Even after being stored with sharp curves, it just lays flat on the bench in use.

And I have no relationship with them other than as a satisfied customer. I do use their probes as replacements for the worn probes in reconditioned meters that I sell. I have not tried their scope probes - yet. I do plan to get some.

I've done one metric crapton of field testing over the years. The Extech leads break at the right angle connector where they plug into the meter. The Pomona ones have copper brakes inside the insulation. Nothing like trouble shooting for an hour only to discover your leads are no good. Flukes are the best i've found. Bob

Back