What's new
What's new

Shars Tool Holder with one great improvement!

rbrandes

Aluminum
I just got a Shars tool holder and they are now marking the shank with all the parts.
This is great in that I don't have to root around for numbers when I need inserts or replacement clamps, screws, anvils, etc.
shars.jpg
Regards, Ray
Ray-Vin.Com

Good for you !

Now we know what piece of Shars crap we have found in the bottom of the dumpster.

And really your post is just a sneaky way to post your own website eh ?

If you would buy sandvik you would never have to buy replacement parts. . . Just saying.

I wish.... Notwithstanding lots of holder clamps/screws etc are actually consumables, in my opinion, don't we all wish that an "oops" moment would never happen?
No idea what brand the op has there but I'm guessing that it is frowned upon? The same way that I frown when I see the pricing of sandvik turning holders and rather go with iscar,widia,mitsubishi... hell pretty much anything else.

I actually bought a used sandvick 1" shank tnmg tool holder a few years back and it has stayed in the warner and swasey 1-A since it's purchase. I make .250" doc roughing passes on a regular basis. I have never had an issue with what shars considers "consumables" degrading. I have destroyed lesser brands in one roughing operation.

My used sandvik tool holder has only one consumable. The carbide inserts.

If sandvik had a brand of underwear I would fall in line with the John Deere folks and I would be sporting sandvik boxer briefs in red and yellow.

Regards,
Alonzo

Good for you !

Now we know what piece of Shars crap we have found in the bottom of the dumpster.

And really your post is just a sneaky way to post your own website eh ?
I doubt he needs much help getting people to his site, he is one of the more successful manufacturers of equipment for the competitive shooting community.

Almost hate to admit, but I bought a Shars 5” mill vise because that’s the size I needed, and it is very well executed. Fit and finish are as good as any vise I’ve seen. All indicator checks came in better than stated limits. The only thing I don’t know is metallurgy, but the bottom of the casting shows no pores, sand, pattern shift, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost hate to admit, but I bought a Shars 5” mill vise because that’s the size I needed, and it is very well executed. Fit and finish are as good as any vise I’ve seen. All indicator checks came in better than stated limits. The only thing I don’t know is metallurgy, but the bottom of the casting shows no pores, sand, pattern shift, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How bad does the fixed jaw move around when you tighten it? I have a Chinese Kurt knockoff and you can see the coolant squishing out from between the key and the base when you tighten it, and it locks down in a different place every time. It's fine for drilling holes I guess.

Nay sayers just gotta nay say. Every importer of 'less costly merchandise' started on price over quality. Some buyers understand this, some don't. If you expect top quality for HF prices expect to cry fairly often. I buy what I need at a price I can afford. As someone stated yesterday the object is to make money not own the Lincoln Mark XX.

Bag on Shars all you want, but they:

- Have a website that is easy to use.
- Have all-payer pricing without Grainger/Fastnel/MCS shenanigans.
- Do some simple, smart design things like this on their products.

I don't buy Chinesium tools anymore, but damn if I'm not super impressed with the way Shars does business beyond that (sort of fatal, to me) limitation. While the tooling I usually buy is very premium in build quality, literally everything else about the experience is stuck in 1975.

Cause it’s automatically put on his posts, it’s a sig or tag line
Btw I just bought a shars cnmg boring bar and used it. Did exactly what I needed it to.

Go visit ray vin. Com

Just an observation. It seems like over the last couple of years that Shars has really been stepping up the quality and support of their products slowly across the line. Compared to the commodity Chinese junk their stuff is now almost uniformly of much better quality and the company is vastly more visible in the support, information and ease of use areas.

Admittedly I only have a few Shars items as I buy used and that mostly means old shop stuff of the Sandvik, Iscar, Kennametal variety but to be honest if I just needed to buy one of something to do a job and wasn't going into production with it I would have to look at their stuff.

One item I bought was a Thread Micrometer. Used Mitutoyo and Starrett were in the $400 - $500 range missing parts on eBay and the Shars was a fraction of that. Has worked fine when I needed it and been accurate as I double checked everything over wires for the first few months just to get some confidence.

I am not going to beat a company down if they are trying to move upmarket. Enough have gone the other way in the last 20 years if they needed to sell margin stuff to get established enough to sell better things then more power to them. But elitists who don't buy their own tooling will always want the best money is no object stuff. I don't have a purchasing department, just me and sometimes 10x the cost is just too much. YMMV or course.

Back