What's new
What's new

Do Russian machinest mix metric with inches ?

I paused the vid and the drawing is marked G1/2" on both male and female ends, which is ISO speak for 1/2" BSP pipe thread, an international standard.

I paused the vid and the drawing is marked G1/2" on both male and female ends, which is ISO speak for 1/2" BSP pipe thread, an international standard.
I thought about that but didn't notice any thread indications in the drawing itself. I guess if we simply watched more of the video we would see the actual part to confirm.

Not a definitive answer, but I recently donated a collection of several hundred micrometers to fund a tech scholarship. It turned out that Stalin insisted on building a state-run micrometer factory. Among the dozen or so micrometers I had from that factory, all were metric. My guess is that there was a fairly firm commitment to metric, at least in the beginning.

All the Russian machines I've worked on have had BSP fitting for coolant pipes/lines etc. As far as I know the US is the only other country that insists on going it alone with NPT. Regards Tyrone.

The're probably lucky, and only have to work in one standard and one set of Allen Wrenches!. Where we have to slow down, and work in two standards and two sets of every wrench, with the mighty advantage of trying to keep them both straight so we don't scrap the work which may have both metric and inch dimensions on the same drawing. Sheesh!

Other that that everything's just fine. :)

Regards,

Stan-

Look at 2:31 for start of prints....what the heck is Crom 1/2" for example ? Looks like 1/2" doesn't literally mean one half inch but something else...but what ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awE7yV1tW6w&feature=related

they are supposed to make a piece of G 1/2" pipe (is not crom but pronounced s-hon) and the cap for it (zastezka). G 1/2" is the standart pipe thread in europe (BSPP). from memory: G 1" has a diameter of something like 33 mm.

I guess there was no budget for a state run safety glass factory.
It is funny that only the moderator has safety glasses but even she never actually wears them over her eyes ! And then to add insult to injury at some point in the show she interacts with one of the "contestants" while he is turning a part with a sort of Charlie Chaplin skit which would tend to be dangerous as heck, or at least encourage newbie machinists that turning is all in fun and nothing can go wrong. So strange.

Below is link to another Russian video that is apparently a children's show with a "How it's Made" sort of visit to a factory working with large HBM's. At least in that one the machinist does wear safety glasses ...and encourages the "happenin' babe" interviewer to try on some. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0LIkctYiL4&feature=related

To me, one of the coolest things about the internet is being able to so easily find and view strange videos like this.... almost like looking into a parallel world.

what exactly is so "strange" about them? except the language, maybe? if a fish looks out of the aquarium, does it see the "paraller" world?

btw, do you know what leathes they were in the first video?

what exactly is so "strange" about them?
You find not wearing safety glasses, with young inexperienced machinists, and especially on a TV show that should promote safety to thousands of viewers....not strange ? And a moderator wearing safety glasses on top of her head but not actually using them...not strange ? If so, you are strange !

(Btw, due to language differences, you may be assuming more negative conotations to the word "strange" than I intend. To be strange can be "interesting" sometimes, not necessarily "bad" )

Dunno the lathes make...probably Eastern Bloc made....like whoever makes "Lion" lathes sold in this country. Could be Spanish also.

exactly, "interesting" is what i had in mind. do all of you guys wear safety glasses, when machining? i dont. i wear my regular glasses and put the "shield" down. often i just go out of the way, when the machine is running.

exactly, "interesting" is what i had in mind. do all of you guys wear safety glasses, when machining? i dont. i wear my regular glasses and put the "shield" down. often i just go out of the way, when the machine is running.
I wear (only) regular glasses as well...but

1. Most (if not all) of those boys were wearing no glasses at all
2. The use of safety glasses should be promoted on a show of that nature. Whether they actually wear them in their own shop at home is up to them.

It is funny that only the moderator has safety glasses but even she never actually wears them over her eyes ! And then to add insult to injury at some point in the show she interacts with one of the "contestants" while he is turning a part with a sort of Charlie Chaplin skit which would tend to be dangerous as heck, or at least encourage newbie machinists that turning is all in fun and nothing can go wrong. So strange.

Below is link to another Russian video that is apparently a children's show with a "How it's Made" sort of visit to a factory working with large HBM's. At least in that one the machinist does wear safety glasses ...and encourages the "happenin' babe" interviewer to try on some. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0LIkctYiL4&feature=related

To me, one of the coolest things about the internet is being able to so easily find and view strange videos like this.... almost like looking into a parallel world.

Funny thing is... I went to original link, after about 4 minutes I jumped to the link you just posted (seeing it on youtube, not here) because I saw a prettier russian girl in front of a lathe tail stock. From there? Russian girls dancing in short shorts. I'm pretty sure I cant be the only one.

clark, as i said above, it has nothing to do with chrome, you realise russian letters have an other meaning: сгон, thats whats written there and it designates the part (pipe) to be made. the other part probably is called "заглушка".

Back