What's new
What's new

Shim stock material

Sendit

Aluminum
When does it matter (at all) what material the shim stock is made out of?

I see guys use stainless, brass, regular steel, etc. Was more curious than anything.

Let say I was shimming a machine (small cnc mill)whose base was cast iron that went on a large stand made of steel. What material would you use?

I've known some guys to use paper for shims in a CNC with flood coolant on it. And not just for a quick fix. He had it in his dedicated turning tool holder. Had it under there for a long time.
I prefer brass shim stock, but that's mainly because I've got a bunch of it.

When does it matter (at all) what material the shim stock is made out of?

I see guys use stainless, brass, regular steel, etc. Was more curious than anything.

Let say I was shimming a machine (small cnc mill)whose base was cast iron that went on a large stand made of steel. What material would you use?
they sell SS preslotted shims stamped with size already made 2x2" with 5/8" slot in .001 up to .125" is fairly standard for shimming motors and other equipment. you can buy a shim kit with a size selection
.picture what they look like
pre slotted shims - Google Search
also Starrett thickness gage rolls or feeler gage stock is used if its short term need but those are usually steel and will rust over time

they sell SS preslotted shims stamped with size already made 2x2" with 5/8" slot in .001 up to .125" is fairly standard for shimming motors and other equipment. you can buy a shim kit with a size selection
also Starrett thickness gage rolls or feeler gage stock is used if its short term need but those are usually steel and will rust over time

So the material choice has most to do with will it corrode over time, which is what I was leaning to.

Say the foot of the machine is 4x4" but our shim is only 2x2" or even 1x1" Would this be a concern of yours? I would think, possibly, over time the machine might settle in that area more than other due to a increase in pressure from the reduce foot print. I'm probably way over thinking this but makes me curious what others have experienced.

OT drilling thin shims can be a chore..a good punch can work as well as a Dremel type grinder..Paper shims are fine in many cases but not very professional..good to not shim only the ends on a taper need but to also shim at mid area with proper size. Certainly this on a grinder job as a very thick part can mag-down on a magnetic chuck.
Color coded plastic shin stock is great for many applications...

For a long section assembly not having a mid or center shim could cause vibration being unsupported.
Open spaces due to shimming in an assembly tend to rust..so another problem possible..

So the material choice has most to do with will it corrode over time, which is what I was leaning to.

Say the foot of the machine is 4x4" but our shim is only 2x2" or even 1x1" Would this be a concern of yours? I would think, possibly, over time the machine might settle in that area more than other due to a increase in pressure from the reduce foot print. I'm probably way over thinking this but makes me curious what others have experienced.

Shim stock is more often cut to stick-out a tad. Loading quite aside, one of the reasons is so that the next Pilgrim who has to check alignment knows it is THERE, and what sort of material had been used.

The "surplus" also serves as an easily visible indicator as to progress of corrosion, if any, and hopefully before it becomes a major problem, overall.

Hardening fillers are not uncommon, either. The putty-like material between the bed and base of a Monarch 10EE may be an extremely thin skim, and there as much to preclude entry of corrosives as to play any real role in altering fit.

The "Bondo"-like filler on my El Cheapo Burke B-100-4 mill, by contrast, was nearly a 1/4" thick, worst corner, main casting to chip/coolant pan to base.

I considered that sort of pretense a bad joke, so used a visible stack of ignorant galvanized "fender" washers when it went back together in a more forthright admission of its humble origins.

In this case, there isn't really anything "critical" about it, as all the moving parts that matter (eg: the spindle, knee, and drivetrain) are hung off the one main casting on a Burke #4.

The 10EE? At bed to base, with three-point mounting further down - where it meets Mother Earth - a precise and stable fit very much does matter.

Your machine. Your own set of priorities as to what actually matters.

If you have a major make with a decent manual, the guidance should be spelled-out arredy.

If not, advice from those with the same machine or closest ones of similar layout and construction can be better than chatter about "general" shimming.

I would imagine the extent to which the shim stock contributes to part movement might be an (admittedly) minor element in the decision. Brass and paper are less likely to slip than say stainless. I would also say compressibility of the shim stock could (after vibration and repeated clamping/tightening in use) slightly change the dimensions of the stack-up. So nothing with high plastic deformation where dimensional accuracy is desired and nothing hard and slippery where holding power is more important. Horses for courses.

"Brass" shim stock is common as housefly poop the past hundred-plus years. The same folk who still stock it usually have Bronze as well. I keep only the Bronze to-hand. Whyso?

Brass's main alloying element is Zinc. Zinc is a shameless whore for chemical reactions. Think chlorinated coolants and all sorts of strong cleaners worst of all.

Bronze uses Tin as its most common partner instead of Zinc. Tin is nowhere near the nymphomaniac as Zinc when it comes to chemical bed-partner choices, so the Bronze can be waaay more stable over time.

8CW, as it does cost more than Brass..

:)

If 2X2" that is an "A" set. "B" is 3X3", C is 4X4", and D is 5X5". Use the appropriate size.

"Brass" shim stock is common as housefly poop the past hundred-plus years. The same folk who still stock it usually have Bronze as well. I keep only the Bronze to-hand. Whyso?

Brass's main alloying element is Zinc. Zinc is a shameless whore for chemical reactions. Think chlorinated coolants and all sorts of strong cleaners worst of all.

Bronze uses Tin as it most common partner instead of Zinc. Tin is nowhere near the nymphomaniac as Zinc when it comes to chemical bed-partner choices, so the Bronze can be waaay more stable over time.

8CW, as it does cost more than Brass..

I was thinkin about this before I went to be bed. Truth be told (not trying to break the rules) I'm close to buying a cheap cnc mill for my garage. I don't have funds or have anyone I trust to help me look over a used Haas. This machine start wit a "T". The mill sits on a large stand where the coolant flow back down under the stand. There are 4 mounting feet and to tram the machine in you shim the between the base of the stand and the base of the machine. It's going to take some use to going form Haas (at school) to this 2HP machine but it holds tolerances I need.

I was thinkin about this before I went to be bed. Truth be told (not trying to break the rules) I'm close to buying a cheap cnc mill for my garage. I don't have funds or have anyone I trust to help me look over a used Haas. This machine start wit a "T". The mill sits on a large stand where the coolant flow back down under the stand. There are 4 mounting feet and to tram the machine in you shim the between the base of the stand and the base of the machine. It's going to take some use to going form Haas (at school) to this 2HP machine but it holds tolerances I need.

Well.. now that you have shared that...

I'm afraid I would simply "cheat" on a mere 2 HP machine and not use any shims at all.

I have a stash - both of adjustable screw-down "feet" with large pads, and of bolt-down fasteners - for exactly that sort of challenge. Hemi contour to the underside, concave washers to match. The rest is done with an ignorant wrench, then .. RE- adjusted if/as/when need be with near-zero muss or fuss.

KISS method. Especially if you have to MOVE the b***h. Or it moves itself..

Not as if it was several million bucks and multiple tens of tons of gantry mill, shelter erected AROUND its precious carcass, after all.

Well.. now that you have shared that...

I'm afraid I would simply "cheat" on a mere 2 HP machine and not use any shims at all.

I have a stash - both of adjustable screw-down "feet" with large pads, and of bolt-down fasteners - for exactly that sort of challenge. Hemi contour to the underside, concave washers to match. The rest is done with an ignorant wrench, then .. RE- adjusted if/as/when need be with near-zero muss or fuss.

KISS method. Especially if you have to MOVE the b***h. Or it moves itself..

Not as if it was several million bucks and multiple tens of tons of gantry mill, shelter erected AROUND its precious carcass, after all.
You need to shim the machine base in order to tram in the machine. You can use a pallet jack to move the machine around. :flame suit on:
Here: Shimming & Leveling a Tormach Mill - YouTube

You need to shim the machine base in order to tram in the machine. You can use a pallet jack to move the machine around. :flame suit on:
Here: Shimming & Leveling a Tormach Mill - YouTube

No "flame suit" needed. YOU may see that need. I do not. Disclosure:

I ALSO have - if needed - a small stash of what are called "differential" mounting fasteners. Meant for aligning autocollimator mirrors, laser optics and such.

"Shims" are not the only way to achieve fine-granularity adjustments on small goods, but wot the hey - you've had lots of good advice about shims by now.

Time to stop "pondering" and JF go and apply whatever you see as best-fit from it for YOUR needs. No shims - er "skin" - off MY arse, after all.

No "flame suit" needed. YOU may see that need. I do not. Disclosure:

I ALSO have - if needed - a small stash of what are called "differential" mounting fasteners. Meant for aligning autocollimator mirrors, laser optics and such.

"Shims" are not the only way to achieve fine-granularity adjustments on small goods, but wot the hey - you've had lots of good advice about shims by now.

Time to stop "pondering" and JF go and apply whatever you see as best-fit from it for YOUR needs. No shims - er "skin" - off MY arse, after all.

Diff. Mounting fastener...these guys? https://frsport.com/images/[email protected]

My plan is to get the machine. Level the stand, place the mill on the stand and bolt it down to the stand (snugging the bolts) Also leveling the stand and tramming/leveling the mill, then let it sit for a while. (day or so). Then go back to level and tram it again.

you can buy bigger size of preslotted shims. 4x4 is common just more expensive than smaller 2x2 sizes
they sell plastic shim material kits in different sizes and colors. plastic is not for high temperatures or high loads of weights. but for many things it is good enough
if motor is steel or cast iron i would not worry a lot about shims rusting any more than motor feet will rust.
i used to make shims and deburring is time consuming. once we started using the preslotted shims over 35 years ago most agree its far easier to use preslotted shims. unless damaged, often the shims get reused. stainless shims dont get rusty so far easier to keep around for reuse

I have a 60 year old Wadkin 12" Jointer,when I took it apart and restored it there were shims on the table inserts by the cutterhead.
They were some kind of paper, they were still good and reused them.

Back