What's new
What's new

axa or bxa

I'm looking to pick up a quick change tool post for my Clausing 5900 with a
12" swing. The AXA posts are listed for use with up to a 12" swing. The BXA is for 10" to 15". It seems like either one would work....Any comments one which would be best.
Obviously the AXA would be cheaper (good thing) but it would be maxed out at 12".....would the BXA maybe be better since I would be using it in the middle of it's range?
Thanks for any help :)

I have an 11" Logan with both an AXA and a BXA. The AXA works fine but is a little small.
The BXA is heavier but some of the insert bits don't go down far enuf without modification for proper use. Should work ok w/ a 12" tho.

BXA all the way

I use an Aloris BXA on my 12.5" Monarch 10ee and have been very pleased with it.

Much sturdier than the AXA, as others have mentioned.

- Leigh

It's easy to put small tools in a bigger holder, not so much the other way around. So the AXA will limit the size of tool you can mount. I have the AXA in my Hardinge HLV-H and often wish I had the BXA.
Jim

When you decide to buy, go with a wedge type of tool post. May be a bit more expensive, but you will be pleased. I have the wedge and a little piston type, the wedge one holds the tool height between changes better (generally the Aloris type). Just my opinion and experience though.

Ok, all this opinion stuff is meaningless. Might as well argue what is better, Miller or Budweiser, Ford or Chevy. The facts are, what matters is the measurement from the top of the compound to the spindle centerline. Example, a BXA will not work in a Hardinge lathe. You can't get the tool low enough to be on center. Mill the tool shank or mill the tool holder, yes you can but should have got an AXA. Check out the Alors web site, as it has all this info there.
--Doozer

Ok, all this opinion stuff is meaningless.
That's your opinion. Worth every cent we paid for it. :nutter:

There is an overlap in the size ranges for the Aloris systems.

Since his lathe falls in that range, the OP was requesting advice on which to choose.

Perfectly valid question, and valid answers.

- Leigh

I use an Aloris copy, Phase II, I beileve it is. It's in BXA for my 13 X 40" lathe. I really like the 5/8" capability. It's possible that it might be better to use an AXA on a smaller lathe but on a mid-range situation as mentioned here, I'd go with the BXA if there's a choice.

I have a BXA on my 12" lathe. I'm very happy with it, although with the height on the cross slide and compound, I'm limited to 1/2" shank tools unless I mill a bit off the bottom of the holders. Otherwise it won't be on center. There's certainly enough meat there to do that on most of the holders. YMMV, that height is different for every brand of machine.

Leigh-
The recommended lathe swings are a guide to selecting a tool post, yes that is true.
But they are only a guide, yes with size cross overs. The measurement between the top of the compound and the lathe spindle center line is what really shows what series will work or not, as the tool may be too high to work or too low and a spacer will be needed.

Similar to saying I want to buy Ford F-350 truck because I haul a 4000 pounds of payload.
Wouldn't it be better to check out the gross vehicle weight rating GVWR to see exactly what a given model of truck will carry?

British lathes typically have higher compounds than American pattern lathes, so they might need a smaller series toolpost than the swing selection method indicates.

I said those opinions are meaningless because they do not include the info whether the holders operate in the middle range of height adjustment or not. This is important because if your holder needs to be set too high or too low, you may have selected the wrong series. Looking at the actual compound to CL measurement will tell you exactly what will work for you.

--Doozer

If I had a Clausing, I'd choose the AXA. If you feel that a 1/2" shank tool will give you problems that a 5/8" shank tool would cure you need the BXA. Not sure what you would be cutting on one of those lathes that a 1/2" shank tool couldn't handle! Tool overhang is a big factor in rigidity and the AXA will lessen the overhang considerably over the BXA.

I have a 5914 as well, and the "BXA" size works nicely on that machine. I did buy a Chinese knockoff from one of the numerous eBay sellers that maintain a store on the site. In general it is OK, but I have noticed that the central screw that locks the wedge in place can vibrate a bit loose on a long-cycle interrupted cut, such as when pocketing out a steel 5C step collet about 4" diameter. I suspect that a new, or even used, Aloris would probably not do that, but my expectations may also be higher than they should be.

I'd be inclined to go with an AXA. On my lathe I have Dorian BXA and CXA holders and I use the BXA for 99% of my work. Why? The smaller tool holder permits better access to the workpiece and the holders are less expensive. All sizes are suitably rigid, in my experience, much more so than lantern style tool holders. Go with Aloris or Dorian style and forget the piston which doesn't seem as robust. (I know folks doing good work with piston setups, but they don't fill me with confidence).

GsT

Back