What's new
What's new

shop made 2x72 sander

Get some velcro for that disc, that bolts going to scar the crap out of anything that it contacts!

would you care to share, how the bearing arangement is on the tracking and idler wheels?

It looks great!

But one question though, Why did you mount the disc on that way? To be honest when I was an apprentice one of my jobs was to assemble disc/belt sanders (They used to make them but stopped because they were too good to compare price wise with a cheopo import) and we always shrunk the disks on. They were aluminium and shrunk on to a steel shaft that ran on the bearings into the housing. Once it was shrunk on the final facing and OD turning were done to ensure that it ran spot on. Never had a call back on bad workmanship but only on bearings that gave in after being ran for many hours. The abrasive disc was just glued on and pretty easy to remove when it needed to be replaced

Intersting idea on the disc sander, I made a belt grinder 5 years or so ago. I love it but would direct drive the belt off of the motor like you did. Mine uses a jack shaft and belt = more parts noise and vibration. I would like to run a 3 phase motor and a VFD also. I use a large contact wheel 95% of the time. That thing will really hog the metal off if you push it.

pics completed sander

Intersting idea on the disc sander, I made a belt grinder 5 years or so ago. I love it but would direct drive the belt off of the motor like you did. Mine uses a jack shaft and belt = more parts noise and vibration. I would like to run a 3 phase motor and a VFD also. I use a large contact wheel 95% of the time. That thing will really hog the metal off if you push it.

pics completed belt sander and my 1939 14in 2 speed delta band saw

thank you elmer20150301_141133.jpg20150302_142307.jpg20150302_142333(2).jpgIMG_1410.jpg

You might want to move the belt grinder away from what has to be the nicest rug in any shop I have ever seen. The belt grinder will turn the entire area around it black in short order.

Well done. I like the "repurposed" control box, too.

Did you build it for a specific use, or just wanted a belt sander?

Thanks for the pix, too.

Neil

Back