Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Shop Made Tool pics

fireguy is offline Plastic

Default Shop Made Tool pics

Theres a very active thread on the Home shop machinist Forum on shop made tools.

Thought it might be a good idea to start one here.

The ingenuity of many out there is amazing. Lets see you show off your talents and help inspire others.

Cheers,
    KJ

Here are a couple nice tools.

The first was posted by Mr Frank Ford. He makes some great tools.

The slot cutter looks like a piece of mechine art, posted by Evan a senior member. Looks like it could be sitting in a museum.

James Kain likes this.

Ken Dennis is offline Aluminum

I was just thinking along these lines yesterday.
    On Weldingweb, there is a thread about basically this same thing called "home made tools", and I thought it would be interesting to see what some of the members here had come up with to appease some of their own wants or needs.
    As they say "necessity is the mother of invention"

I'll see if I cant dig up a few of my own to post!

Ken.

DocsMachine is online now Stainless

One of the ones I posted in that thread was this indexible cutter:

It holds three TPG-type triangular cutters, pointing straight out. With a bit of a careful touch-up to the tips with a diamond wheel- which incidentally lets me reuse dull inserts from the scrap can- it'll cut 60-degree splines:

(That's just a test piece- the final part was in 4140.)

Doc.

JimGlass is offline Stainless

This is not exactly a tool. Homemade drillpress. I use it for second operations that come off my CNC Bridgeport. I need to ream a 5/16 hole to size after the CNC mill roughs out the hole. This way I can run two machine at one time.

Below is a turn/face/cuttoff in one tool. AXA size quick change tool. Tool was made for a special job that came along. It still comes in handy at times.

Jim
    James Kain likes this.

joe m is offline Aluminum

A while back I seen a neat retractable threading tool holder that fit on a quick change tool post. Was probably a home built part as I havent seen one in a catalog. Did any one see it or have a link to it.
    Joe

bsg-machine is offline Stainless

Not shop made but here's a picture of one that would be easy to copy, it's for a multifix tool post.
    The wrench is not shown but attaches to the hex in the rear of the holder.

Kevin.

John Welden is online now Diamond

Made 30 magnifying glasses and kept one for myself. The others were gifts.
    Aluminum, brass, wood.

Made about 20 custom Olfa Knives for gifts.
    Aluminum, fleece bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mag-glass.jpg   dscf0960.jpg   dscf0955.jpg   dscf0986.jpg  

Frank Ford is online now Hot Rolled

Default This week. . .

Here's a little press for inserting guitar tuner bushings:

More junk on my current guitar repair blog:

FRETS.COM Blog Article

Jon Bohlander is offline Stainless

I recently made my version of Lautard's Po' Boy Jig Boring Fixturing. Which is a way to accurately locate holes with just a drill press.

There is more of a write-up on it and some more projects of mine at

MY BLOG

I would urge others to use the blog feature. It's a easy way to do your own version of Mr Fords website. Unfortunately it's underused and under viewed.
    James Kain likes this.

gbent is offline Diamond

Here are a couple of my shop built tools. The lathe holder is for a Aloris CXA, and will hold round from 1/4 to 1 1/2". With the horizontal vee its always on center, regardless of shank size. The vise grips with the movable rods are mounted on Wilton PowrArm Juniors. They work good with tig or silver solder repairs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radial-arm-drill-026.jpg   radial-arm-drill-027.jpg  
    lowCountryCamo likes this.

A_Pmech is offline Stainless

"The Hammer"

I made the first one as a protest against Snap-On tools offshoring some of their hammer production to China. To date I have sold 30 of them to other mechanics and machinists. It is an interchangeable face machinist's hammer which also includes a long nylon face for installing pistons.

It is made from 7075-T6 and 4130. The handle is shrink-fit into the head in Liquid Nitrogen and gun-drilled to lighten the handle and improve balance. ALL materials are of US origin, which has proven quite a challenge to obtain.

I've been using the prototype every day in the shop. It sure beats the old NAPA and Craftsman hammers I was using!

James Kain and Curious Yellow like this.

Chopshopchopper is offline Plastic

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by A_Pmech View Post
    "The Hammer"

I made the first one as a protest against Snap-On tools offshoring some of their hammer production to China. To date I have sold 30 of them to other mechanics and machinists. It is an interchangeable face machinist's hammer which also includes a long nylon face for installing pistons.

It is made from 7075-T6 and 4130. The handle is shrink-fit into the head in Liquid Nitrogen and gun-drilled to lighten the handle and improve balance. ALL materials are of US origin, which has proven quite a challenge to obtain.

I've been using the prototype every day in the shop. It sure beats the old NAPA and Craftsman hammers I was using!

I like that hammer, looks great...

Are we allowed to ask about pricing of items made here?

Some members might like one of the hammers. I have a crappy one I use foe the mill, the one thing I like about it is a ring I put on the end of the handle so I hang it off the mill.

Never walks around the shop that way.

Nice pics members, keep up the good work!

bosleyjr is offline Diamond

It strikes me that one reason some tools in the US are going South (or East, as it were) are that that bean counters don't really take into account when buying a tool like a hammer is efficiency and pride of craftsmanship. Some tools are way more efficient than other. An electropolished Armstrong or S&K Superchrome wrench is nicer to use, and I am less likely to slip and screw up or hurt myself with that superior tool than I would be with a Craftsman. I am more efficient.

The pride of craftsmanship thing is another factor. I'd be embarrassed to to a poor job while using a hammer that pretty!

The bean counter just says "its a hammer, and I'm going low bid".

Of course, there's the real reason we like nice tools: addiction. Finding a great buy on a set of tools at a garage sale or on eBay makes us sound like Cheech and Chong:
    "Hey man, check out the tools I scored".
    "Wow, man. Far out! Is that a real Armaloy set?"
    "Yeah, man. It' s the good stuff. From back in the 70's, man."
    "Wow man. So, like, you gonna keep all this stuff, or are you selling some of your stash?"

The hammers are very nicely done.

And so forth.

J
    dksoba likes this.

Baxtool is offline Aluminum

I couldn't find a set of Mortise Chisels with all the features I wanted, so I made my own.

I've started on a set of firmer chisels as well. The smaller one at the bottom, a 3/8", was the first of the set. I've also finished a 1/2", so just a few more to go.

Glenn Wegman is offline Stainless

I recently made this V-Block from A-2 tools steel for a specific purpose. It is 1" X 1 1/4" and is heat treated to 60RC. The scrw to secure the wirk is temporary, as I will make one with a brass tip.

thruthefence is offline Titanium
    People's Democratic Republic of Louisiana

A_Pmech,

I have often thought about something like that for those sticky Continental Wristpins. Never had the fire in my belly to make one. Great job!

PixMan is offline Diamond

Glenn, I just love the finish you got on that V-block! I've been looking for info on how to achieve that with a thread I started in the "Abrasive Machining" section. Could you respond there with how you did it?

Thank you!

Never mind. I found your information elsewhere. It was done dry with an 80G balanced wheel. I hope to be getting similar results soon.
    Last edited by PixMan; 03-29-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Markusfu is offline Stainless

Default aloris v block

bgent- I love the aloris - v- block idea

thanks for sharing

Markus

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast