What's new
What's new

Shop Upgrades. Shop speakers and Security Cameras

bellinoracing

Hot Rolled
I almost have my new shop finished but there are two projects left I would like to complete. That is some shop speakers, and some security cameras.

First I would like to get 2 big speakers to mount high on the wall and play music from either the computer, cell phone, or maybe a USB drive. Would I need to run wires to those or can I find set with blue tooth speakers that talks to a receiver unit?

My second project is a couple security cameras. I live in a small town where everybody knows everybody and theft is almost non existent. But still it would be nice to have a couple basic cameras in case anything ever went missing. If possible and affordable I would like to keep the most recent 48 hours saved to a hard drive. It would also be nice to see a live view from both cameras on my cell phone from a remote location because I am away from my shop quite often. I would like one camera in the shop and one outside pointed at the gate.

Can anyone suggest types, brands, or sources for either of my projects? I know next to nothing about speakers, cameras, or what it takes to make either work. My budget is relatively low for both project but I dont want to buy junk either. I just want a basic setup that works and if I can't afford decent quality I will probably put the project off indefinitely.

Thanks for any suggestions

If you have Internet access at the shop I like having belkin net cameras. It emails me a picture when there is activity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If you have internet access in your shop, definitely get IP Cameras. They are easier to hook up and they will allow you to see what is happening in the shop from anywhere in the world in real time. Of course recording and other features are available. You can get a set or 6 or 8 IP cameras at Costco for around $200.

For the stereo, buy a cheap stereo at a yard sale/flea market/swap meet (or probably clean out your own garage). You can hook your iPod, CD player, or other source into any of the AUX inputs. If you look around, you can probably do this for less than $20 including speakers. Don't worry about fidelity -- it's a machine shop after all!

LM

If you have internet access in your shop, definitely get IP Cameras. They are easier to hook up and they will allow you to see what is happening in the shop from anywhere in the world in real time. Of course recording and other features are available. You can get a set or 6 or 8 IP cameras at Costco for around $200.

For the stereo, buy a cheap stereo at a yard sale/flea market/swap meet (or probably clean out your own garage). You can hook your iPod, CD player, or other source into any of the AUX inputs. If you look around, you can probably do this for less than $20 including speakers. Don't worry about fidelity -- it's a machine shop after all!

LM

Pawn shops usually have a good selection of stereos and speakers. Fidelity does matter, I have Cerwin Vega's and they sound great!

Hard to beat a pair of Klipcsh La Scalas for filling a shop with sound with very little input.
Expensive but used ones from bars or tours show up. Not so hard to build if you like such adventures.
Super efficient and you can drive these with your cell phone.
In any speaker system twice the volume needs ten times the power. Go from 50 to 100 watts and you get 3db which is very hard to even notice.

I would hit CL for speakers before pawn shops. Bring your own tunes and listen to them first.

They make bluetooth amplifiers you can power speakers with, and they'll have multiple other inputs, too. If you can't find a 'receiver' you like, check out MCM Electronics for a more commercial one that will probably meet your needs. For example this one, for a hundred bucks.
Pyle Stereo Amplifier Receiver Bluetooth, AM/FM, USB, 3.5mm Input | PDA5BU | Pyle
Many others out there, too.

I would only put La Scalas in the shop if I had something better in the house.
Full disclosure: in the shop I have a pair of JBL 4312 Control Monitors. Also have a pair in the office. It's a sickness.

Chip

Hello.
I really like Arlo cameras. They give you free online recording and are super easy to setup. They are also wireless. As far as speakers I like the simple stereo amp and some stereo speakers. Everything then is future proof and easy to replace.

Back