What's new
What's new

SINO digital readout question

Status
Not open for further replies.

snocat_trf

Hot Rolled
I bought an import Digital readout from CDCO tools and I got it installed and it works fine, my only problem, I can't find anywhere in the manual or from punching buttons that I can move the decimal point on the display.

t279

http://www.cdcotools.com/

.00002 is much too fine for what I need it for.

It is kind of annoying to have that much resolution on a bridgeport. .0005 is about the limit anyway.

Does anyone else have one of these? the error compensation was hard enough to decipher from the chinese translation in the manual.

I thought about that initially, but with all the features on this thing, you would think it would be pretty easy to do. I guess I should have bought an acu-rite.

DRO Digits

I have the same problem . I have a 3 axis Sino that i got with a 3 in 1 machine . I think it is way too sensitive and don't need that last digit .

Will have to us either tape / or some other black out method ...
Thanks

JerryLeskovec

I've got a Sino, I haven't found how to change that but it may have a combination code to get it the parameters like Heidenhain and other brands have. Unfortunately I didn't see a code list in the manua. Although the number of digits doesn't bother me at all as my lathes go to .00005 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have the same problem with my Sino readout on my lathe.
I read the whole manual and cannot find any way to change it.
It does drive me crazy.

I was just going to inquire if anybody here had a dro from cdco, I am thinking about one for my lathe, they seem reasonably priced, are you guys satisfied with them?
brent

ON mine,

press M/I button once or twice til display reads MORI5. Use up/down arrows to select between 4 and 5 decimal places. Hit enter.

Dan

Last edited:
I used one of Hoods machines one night and found the resolution too much.You could not just glance at the readout and decide where you were.Did not like the colour scheme either.I bought Sino scales but a Fagor readout for a machine.I prefer a red readout on a black background.

I have the 2-axis Sino from CDCO. At first I didn't like the 5 decimal points either, nor could I figure out how to change it. After using it for a few months I'm used to it now and don't mind it anymore.
My arc function works only in metric - no matter how many times I punch the M/I button. All other functions work in both metric and Imperial. Tried talking to the guy at CDCO but didn't get very far with that. It works fine, I just need to manually convert I to M within that function only.

ON mine,

press M/I button once or twice til display reads MORI5. Use up/down arrows to select between 4 and 5 decimal places. Hit enter.

Dan[/QUO

What model Sino display do you have?

I tried it on the model SDS2MS and all I get is the change from inch to mm and back again.

Tim

I have a Sino SDS2-2L that came with my new lathe.
The manual is a terrible english translation.
I am trying to understand the 'Linear Error Compensation'.
Can anyone explain it better then the manual?
X axis error. 1.000" of carrage movement shows 2.00165" movement on the display. I haven't tryed the Z axis yet.

Rzap, How are you measuring the cross slide(X) movement? don't trust the dials for one thing.
1.000" of travel should read 2.000" on Diameter, unless you want it to show radius(DOC)? but there should be a button for that.
Chasing .0008" of linear movement will never end, if you actually have some way to measure the travel of the slide that accurately to begin with, let alone a lathe that is able to hold that.

Normally a glass scale should be installed, properly lined up and no error/backlash, etc compensation should ever have to be played with. I don't even know why that feature is in any readout, other than for rotary scales. If a linear scale is showing a few thou off here and there, something is wrong.

I've got a 3 axis sino on my Hurco, from cdco, they sent the wrong scales initially but were very fast to fix that, it was a great deal.

SDS-2L
Turns out I had my resolution set to 10. I changed it back to 5 and the scales read right.

Linear Error Compensation is to accurately set your dro to read correctly.
I installed my dro scales on my new lathe 14X40 as accurately as I could.
For example lets take the long scale for the X axis. Using a dial indicator I installed the DRO rail to within 0.0005" parallel to the saddle movement. Knowing that the bed casting was not machined on its sides. I also set the side movement to 0.001". This required shimming at the mounting holes. The X axis reader which attaches to the saddle was setup the same way. I was able to acheive the same results with the reader. The Z axis went eazier because I knew what to do now.

On the 1st startup of the DRO display, I ran through the manual as best I could. This allowed me to get a basic understanding of all the functions and menus.
The hardest thing so far was in setting up the Linear Error Correction.
using a set of U.S. Department of weights and Measure certified Lenghs, I came up with the following results.

1.000" rod measured 1.00254" on the X axis scale. My final setting was able to get this to 1.000"=1.00039" on the X scale.
I then tested the X axis with a 2.000" rod and a 3.000" rod
The 3.000"=3.00039 on the X axis scale.
Close enough for me.
For you metric guys 1.000"=25.40mm

I routinely machine parts to within 0.0005"

Rzap
Dallas

The manual they give you covers all of there DRO's for mills, lathes, and edms, Check ebay, I have seen them for sale there from time to time.

I have a PDF copy of the manual, watermarked with my (UK) suppliers name but perfectly readable. Chinglish is pretty good but not perfect. One or two aspects are really confusing especially the fact that one or two functions don't work in Imperial. I can never remember which ones. PM me with your E-Mail if you'd like a copy of the file. Its 1.6 MB so best check that your E-Mail will accept one that big. If not there are other ways.

Clive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back