What's new
What's new

OT -- Cleaning Diesel Injectors

Weirsdale George

Stainless
My dealership is pushing some sort of flushing solution procedure ($225) to clean the injectors on my '01 Dodge Cummins with 100K miles. Supposed to also remove deposits from the fuel lines, pump and combustion chambers. As I get the same MPG now traveling long distances as I did 70K miles ago, I am of the opinion to let sleeping dogs lie.

Here is the website for the product:
Diesel Injection Service

Any opinions as to this being worthwhile? Or should I just buy the additives and do it myself over time?

Most if not all diesel fuels have additives to clean the fuel system. Some of the additives may work as they say but you would have to do a lot of searching to find out.

Personally I think the only way to clean injectors is to tear them down and clean them. The additives just help them go longer between proper cleanings.

Dealers pushing a product means good markup for him.

Pull injectors and get them serviced. Servicing will involve replacing bad nozziles that lead to bad atomization, which no amount of cleaner will fix.

Mark

What dkmc said.
Diesel Fuel injectors,Fuel pumps, and filters need the same periodic maintenance as any other part. Beware of snake oil.

Dont waste your money.
Diesel injectors dont get dirty unless a careless mechanic or severe mechanical problem makes them dirty.
At about 2000 hours they should be pulled & tested. If they leak or fire at too low a pressure the nozzles are replaced & adjusted or the entire injector is replaced.
There are some additives that add lubricity, but some winter thaw types like the above mentioned 911 should only be used if your frozen up or full of fungus, they are hard on filters & add no lubricity to the fuel.

Well I know one thing for sure, run a few tanks of biodiesel and that WILL clean the dirt out of your system. (Straight diesel is actually a dirty fuel). But it's gotta be B100, nothing less. Usually need to swap out a filter after that. Carry a spare with you just in case you get stuck. But after that change, your good to go. Many guys running diesel clean out the system like with no ill effects. I've done it on my Jetta - and that TDI has to be one of the most advanced packages I've seen yet. Injector pressures around 22,000 psi !! Check into it - as long as the bio has been washed to remove the methanol you have nothing to worry about.

Smells like french fies but hey - cleans as you drive

OR.....better yet.
Add 1 quart of oil (10-30 10-40, whatever) to 10 gallons of fuel. Run smoother, quieter, cooler.
The latest run I've had is 10 gallons of AW68 hydralic......1-2 gallons each tank......so smoooth.

dk
1984 Jetta 1.6....100,000/ 50MPG

BG diesel servie is about the best out there IMHO. I have worked at a dodge dealership for 8 years and we changed chemical companies several times (dealership changed hands) and I have used a lot of the others out there and I can honestly say BG is the best.(no affiliation of course) whether it will improve anything depends on if it is dirty allready.

I wouldn't use anything like that. My Cummins is over 200,000 miles and runs as it did when new with nothing other than a fuel filter change. Buy clean diesel from places that sell a lot of it. These comments don't apply to other engines. 700,000 to 1,200,000 miles without service other than oil and filters is not uncommon with a Cummins that does mostly highway travel like mine. Fords 300,000 and it is about over. I don't know about the new Chevy and no one wants to talk about the old Chevy diesel.

My Father had a Dodge Cummins with 600,000+ miles on it. He never used any type of injector cleaner, just normal maintenance, and good fuel.

DK,

You could run straight 10-30, if you wanted to. Its OIL. Atomized, it will burn. You can get french fry oil to burn, why couldn't you get lube oil to burn.

You ain't wearing out them injectors, or dirtying them with fuel oil. Ain't nothing TO dirty them. Carbon might build up on the face of them, 2200 psi blasts through that carbon, still makes a good spray pattern.

You WILL eventually wear out the injectors with the HP spray through them. You don't spray anything at those pressures through a small orifice without eroding those same orifices. The more coarse the atomization, the worse the efficiency.

Cheers,

George

How often do Over the road big trucks do this?

My Father had a Dodge Cummins with 600,000+ miles on it. He never used any type of injector cleaner, just normal maintenance, and good fuel.

That's how.
In the 90's, the decade of the Dodge Cummins boom, Semis, regardless of brand, were typically running 16,000 miles between oil changes which included fuel filter change. Go beyond that a grand or so and you can expect fuel restriction.

Stay on top of recommended intervals and you should be just fine.

I have a VW diesel (1.6) that I run on petrol diesel and 2nd fuel tank for waste vegetable oil. once a year or so this will clog the lift pump up and I have to clean the injection pump, which usually means removal and tear down. well last time this happened I tried somthing alittle different. I pulled my injectors and then put the lines back on them, then I hooked the fuel supply hose that goes to the tank into a big vat safetykleen chemicals for the parts washer and ran the engine with the starter for about 2 straight minutes, pumping solvent through the injection pump and injectors. it worked well enough for me

Back