What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe .... China??

pr0xify

Plastic
As I was looking for a new dial test indicator to pickup on MSC, I happened to look at the country of origin for all of TESA Brown & Sharpe indicators (Bestest). I haven't been able to find one that doesn't say China.

What are you all's opinions of this? I have had recommendations to buy Brown & Sharpe Bestest by many people and I want to ask around to see if the quality is still up to par.

The new ones are from China, the one they sent me looked OK but I sent it back and bought a Starrett. I was able to find a NOS Swiss one on Ebay later and bought it too.

I’d like to say I’m surprised, sadly not, I bought a Moore and Wright, also Chinese I think we are finished as manufacturers, it saddens me but it is the way of the world, there is no compassionate industry, money is the goal, I was asked a question on my first week in the steel industry, what do we make, naturally I replied “steel”, I thought I should have replied the best steel or something, I was immediately rebuked, wrong we are here to make money, the steel is our way to prize money out of other companies sweaty paws, and so it begun
Mark

I'm noticing a bit more of a rabbit hole as I do more investigating. The pictures of the indicator I'd like clearly say swiss made at the center of the dial on PENNTOOL and MSC, however, I am no fool and would like to get to the bottom of this. I would really like to purchase a quality B&S 7035-5. I'll be doing some more digging and posting what I find here.

If you all have any favorites in current production, feel free to post them!

I'm noticing a bit more of a rabbit hole as I do more investigating. The pictures of the indicator I'd like clearly say swiss made at the center of the dial on PENNTOOL and MSC, however, I am no fool and would like to get to the bottom of this. I would really like to purchase a quality B&S 7035-5. I'll be doing some more digging and posting what I find here.

If you all have any favorites in current production, feel free to post them!

The one I bought was from MSC as it said swiss in the pic, the tool itself does not say Swiss or China however the box and some paper inside it say China.

The Starrett I bought from a local supplier and made them find the country of origin before they sent it. It's funny, they went to China but it doesn't save the end user any money, they cost just as much

That's whack. The whole point of moving mfg. to China is supposedly to "be more competitive" with the other companies doing it. :nutter:

I like Interapid as well, wonder how long before they're made in China. :(

Glad I have a good supply of spare indicators. Gonna treat 'em even more like glass now.

The one I bought was from MSC as it said swiss in the pic, the tool itself does not say Swiss or China however the box and some paper inside it say China.

The Starrett I bought from a local supplier and made them find the country of origin before they sent it. It's funny, they went to China but it doesn't save the end user any money, they cost just as much

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Exactly.

One Sunday I totally destroyed:cryin: an Interapid indicator I'd been using for the best part of 20 years.

McMaster had a cheap $45 indicator:eek:, will call is open Sundays:), and I'm 15 minutes away, so I didn't have any choice but to get another indicator.

I intended to get another Interapid the following week, that was a couple of years ago,still using the cheap Chinese indicator that is more than adequate, it is also accurate and durable, (until I crash it hard). These days I don't give a crap were it comes from as long as it's not Russia:mad5:.

One Sunday I totally destroyed:cryin: an Interapid indicator I'd been using for the best part of 20 years.

McMaster had a cheap $45 indicator:eek:, will call is open Sundays:), and I'm 15 minutes away, so I didn't have any choice but to get another indicator.

I intended to get another Interapid the following week, that was a couple of years ago,still using the cheap Chinese indicator that is more than adequate, it is also accurate and durable, (until I crash it hard). These days I don't give a crap were it comes from as long as it's not Russia:mad5:.

My issue is what was posted previously and that is companies offshoring their manufacturing but not passing any of the savings on to the consumer. If I am going to spend my hard earned money on a product made in China, I might as well buy the unknown brand which in most cases is far cheaper. As far as buying items from companies that had good reputations? Sometimes you don't get what you paid for....

Corporate greed is alive and well! Just look at Boeing for example.

If you do settle for "quality import" stuff, check out AliExpress, they go right to the source and cut out the Corporate hogs:

AliExpress - Online Shopping for Popular Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles and More products - AliExpress

You’d be surprised how much German and Swiss kit comes from China and rebadged, tessa have been at it a while, “made in” is meaningless these days,
Mark

You’d be surprised how much German and Swiss kit comes from China and rebadged, tessa have been at it a while, “made in” is meaningless these days,
Mark

And as I age for some reason I seem to make errors I never did before, I am hoping the move and all the crap is the problem and things will get better, I wrecked my indicator by meaning to hit orientate spindle like I have done a million times only this time I hit cw and my 25 year old friend indicator hit the back wall of the machine somewhere on the way to 12k rpm and it didn't seem to like it much.
I own some China made tools, I paid China made prices for and don't expect too much from them and they seem to be fine for what I use them for.
When I pay the price for a name that for my whole life has been USA, Swiss, German etc, that is what I expect to receive.
This bait and switch shit of having a picture of an indicator that clearly says Swiss made in the pic and sending me a China made one instead is bullshit, though in fairness it looked and felt like the Swiss one I wrecked before I wrecked it.

In many cases manufacturers went overseas in an attempt to keep prices within the buyer's budget range. Many years ago, when I started in the business our company was giving away Starrett 6" rules as promotional gifts to technicians and supervisors. We were buying them for a little under $3.00 per copy. As time went on the price of Staretts went up to $6.00 per unit so we switched to Mitutoyo. New Mitutoyo rulers are still available from time to time on eBay for $12.00 to $15.00. The "Made In USA" Staretts are now selling for $31.00. They may be good rulers, but how many people are willing to pay that much for a 6" ruler?

In many cases manufacturers went overseas in an attempt to keep prices within the buyer's budget range. Many years ago, when I started in the business our company was giving away Starrett 6" rules as promotional gifts to technicians and supervisors. We were buying them for a little under $3.00 per copy. As time went on the price of Staretts went up to $6.00 per unit so we switched to Mitutoyo. New Mitutoyo rulers are still available from time to time on eBay for $12.00 to $15.00. The "Made In USA" Staretts are now selling for $31.00. They may be good rulers, but how many people are willing to pay that much for a 6" ruler?

If it would prove I still had at least 6" I would buy one in a heartbeat, I have them from 4" to 36, don't need them often but like them when I do.

years ago I got a S/steel ruler from a regular supplier..... sales rep says....Ya can have it ...we got a million from China,they look nice ,but the scale is about 2-3% out....photoengraving went wrong....so theyre giveaways....can get you a box of 100 if you want them...so I took them..............it used to really amuse people when I cut up a new rule for shims or summat..........anyhoo,all steel rules end up as scrapers,stirrers,or shims.

Back