What's new
What's new

Where can I get a set of mini parallels made ?

Ed325

Plastic
Hello everyone,
First of all, if I'm not in the right forum for this let me know.
But I would like to purchase a set of parallels.
2.500 inches long
.1000 inches thick
Set of 16 pairs from 1/16 to 1 inch held to .0001 per pair
Please advise where I can get this done

I just don't have the free time at work to do it myself.

Thanks

Are you working on super precision outer space stuff? .0001 is pretty far out there. Even if you you find someone to make them, be prepared to have sticker shock.

Find someone with a wire EDM and have them burned out of regular parallels. Grind them to thickness before wiring them.

Recycle some old hack saw blades, that’s what my thin set are made from

All .100 thick so a parting wheel would no nicely or wire EDM.

figure a wire going 84" a minuet so not much burn time..likely the best way to go

Tough job with needing only a small piece of each size stock..grinding one might part them with a parting wheel perhaps 5-10 minuets each just for parting, then heat tread and then grind, so much time doing like that.

Don't discuss this here because I don't want to rob this thread... I will start a thread at the right time.
I'm looking for about 2 to 3" long, 1/2" wide and from .0091 to .0100 by one tenth, holding about 12-20 millionths (if I can).
Yes I will make them in my shop for the one-ups but then need to figure a production method

Little Machine Shop has 1 1/2" and 3" long parallels specified at .0002" tolerance. Buy a set and lap them yourself.

All .100 thick so a parting wheel would no nicely or wire EDM.

figure a wire going 84" a minuet so not much burn time..likely the best way to go

Tough job with needing only a small piece of each size stock..grinding one might part them with a parting wheel perhaps 5-10 minuets each, heat tread and then grind, so much time doing like that.

Don't discuss this here because I don't want to rob this thread... I will start a thread at the right time.
I'm looking for about 2 to 3" long, 1/2" wide and from .0091 to .0100 by one tenth, holding about 12-20 millionths (if I can).
Yes I will make them in my shop for the one-ups but then need to figure a production method

You and DMFTomB are cousins, right?

Back