What's new
What's new

Slab of the Month Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how they sprayed it down with a garden hose before taking the pictures...
Oooooo... shines... must be worth more:drool5:

Seriously tho... that's a fantastic table

Just to be picky...

It says 12' x 6' x 8", I think that's just the ledge height, looks more like 16" or so overall thickness. And it's level! Or at least as level as a few 2 x 4's will make it.

Nits aside, it does look like a nice plate. Would be better to see it without the water film, and I suspect they'll wind up with less than their asking price.

I do believe that's the largest granite surface plate I have seen.
And looking again, I think it's 8" thick above the lip... I bet 16" thick total.

I wonder if momma wants a new island in the kitchen.... :scratchchin:

Just think of all the stuff that will get stacked on it. After a while you will have to look for free space to use it for inspection.

curious why they call it a work table, when it says surface plate right on it.

From what I've seen at auctions lately, as sad as it may sound, I would say $500 tops, with the stand.

Looks like it has been up for sale for 27 days so far. I bet lifting it wrong or lowering wrong onto that base could crack it in two. I bet that is why it is sitting on the wood at each corner.
Bill D.

Perhaps they ought to just leave it there and use it as a second picnic table...

I helped a friend move a couple of propeller service tables once, steel slabs about a foot wide, 8 feet long, and 4 inches thick. I just thought they were heavy!

Installed a belt in a place that had a 12'x4'x4' pink granite surface plate just unloaded. It had a 6"x6"x6" triangle knocked off of one corner. Workers said it went for free, just pay for shipping.

When Lockheed closed up in Burbank they sold a number of huge granite plates. I guy I know bought a few, one is 5X12'X24 or 30 thick, it is the break table in his shop.

I bid on and was high bidder on a 4X8'X12" pink plate at Beechcraft, the auctioneer or Beech tried switching it out with a beat old gray plate. That was the last Stuart B auction I ever attended.

The plate in the ad, they should put some benches around it and use it as a picnic table, at the asking price it will be there a long time. Even at a tenth of the asking price that is going to a hard sell.

Steve

Bought a couple stupid big (but still pretty usable) plates for $50 and $100 at the last auction I went to. They've been tying up my flatbed ever since. Close to roping them to a tree and dragging them off the damn thing.
a 72x48 and a 48x36, both 4 ledge, smaller is pink

Sitting next to their other picnic table like it is, I suspect this is where the owner of that Mercedes eats lunch.

I hope they didn't move it outside just to take those pictures.

I have often considered using a surface plate of this size for a small deck at the front entryway of my house. Of course if I did it it would have to be crystal pink and I would leave the starrett label on facing out to horrify any machinist that saw it. Would also need to roughen the surface to make it less slippery when wet. Have often seen plates this size sell for $300 to $500 and would be very surprised if the seller got anywhere near his asking price

I related this before, but it bears repeating.

I walked into HGR one day, and there was a bunch of large granite plates, mostly
thrashed, some had hole with inserts, others had damage etc.

In comes this guy, waving his arms in dis-belief at how cheap these are priced.
He was running all around like a kid in a candy store.

I explained that they are junk.

He explained to me, that as an artist, raw chunks of granite are much more
expensive than the asking price here, and these have smooth faces already machined.

So to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back