What's new
What's new

OT - Tornados - Everyone OK?

Mud

Diamond
I understand things are pretty bad in the midwest today, the town of Marysville IN is "completely gone". I hope PM members are OK, is anyone here in an emergency?

In northern Middle TN--Dickson and missed our location about 6 miles---hail and strong winds was what we got.
Hope others are OK

These storms are just now sweeping through Cincinnati. Tornados touched down in northern Kentucky and tornados on the ground about a 1/2 hr east of Cincinnati right now. Hope everyone around here is ok!

They're reporting that these tornados are "rain wrapped"... it gets dark, rains like hell and you would be lucky to even see it coming... makes it even more scary if ya ask me. :eek:

Suspended Women's SEC basketball tournament until storms goes through---I think Vanderbilt's women's team thinks Tennessee's women's team is the worst storm.

Our town had high winds of about 70 mph. Out south of town, there was a lot of damage. Manufactured home rolled over multiple times with occupant inside (lifeflighted out) all outbuildings on that farm destroyed, telephone poles snapped off. Lots of damage to farm buildings in a mile wide swath of straight line winds.

I drove along the southwest edge of town this afternoon and I saw two vinyl sided homes that had their west sides completely perforated by hail- holes the size of tennis balls. I have never seen anything like that. All windows on that side of house gone, too.

15 homes in a row along a blacktop road, more or less side by side, and they face a plowed field, so no trees to block the wind. 15 in a row, and these two are the only casualties....

At a rental house I own, the bank next door east has a tall wooden privacy fence to block the view. The wind blew something threw my backyard at that fence with enough velocity it broke two holes 5 boards wide in the fence. Looks like it has been shot with a cannon. Then, it blew down 5 of the fence panels and blew them out in the parking lot.

THe storm just blew up outta nowhere. My renter said she opened the back door to let her dogs out and the wind blew her hair back, and she looked to the west and she said something big and white whooshed past her and scared the crap outta her and caused her to slam the door and run to the interior of the house.... When she looked out after the all clear, the fence was demolished....

Everything is OK in Eastern Blowville Heights, Ohio as the tornado(s) passed 8-10 miles south of here.

Local news reports that the small Ohio river town of Moscow is heavily damaged/destroyed and a fatality occurred there.

Iwannanew10K is from Moscow.

Mike

Last edited:
So far, so good here. It's all splitting and going north or south of me. That's the good part, bad part is that this line extends all the way to just north of HOUSTON. Gonna be a long night with a lot of NOAA radio alarms, I think.

I understand things are pretty bad in the midwest today, the town of Marysville IN is "completely gone". I hope PM members are OK, is anyone here in an emergency?

Tornado wipes Marysville, Indiana off the map | Mail Online

Tornadoes ravage the South and Midwest - wiping entire Indiana town off the map and claiming at least six lives

Town of Marysville, Indiana 'completely gone', according to authorities
Seven reported deaths across Southern Indiana
Homes destroyed across Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama
Comes two days after a storm killed 13 people in the Midwest and South
Mississippi, Ohio, Georgia and Illinois also likely to see heavy weather

Tornadoes have ravaged the South and Midwest, destroying homes, claiming lives and wiping one Indiana town of 1,900 residents entirely off the map.

Extensive and widespread damage has been reported by authorities in Henryville, southern Indiana, where trees were downed, school roofs were ripped off and one person was reportedly left dead.

The nearby town of Marysville is 'completely gone', according to Clark County Sheriff’s Department Major Chuck Adams, and multiple injuries have been reported.

Police said there have been seven deaths across Southern Indiana, with three in Jefferson County, just above the Kentucky border, and four further north in Ripley County, ABC News reported.

Read more: Tornado wipes Marysville, Indiana off the map | Mail Online

Many pictures and videos follow. Complete devastation.

My wifes grandmothers house had the windows busted out from the large hail, she said it was lemon sized. For us this was round 2 this week as we are pretty close to Harrisburg Il. which got hit hard.Later Jason.

Last edited:
The Saint Louis area has been hit by tornados many times just in my lifetime. In 1958 one passed yards from where I live now, but in recent years the tornados and major storms have gone north or south of us. I suspect the heat island has grown large enough to deflect them. When this one came through I heard a little thunder to the south, but only because I am a very light sleeper and easily disturbed. When I got the shop in Webster Groves 34 years ago, 5 inches of snow a couple of times a year was normal. I got a Snowflite industrial class snowblower and used it a lot. I haven't taken it out of storage for at least 6 or 7 years.

There are some types of government assistance that I do not have a lot of sympathy with, but I feel that aid in disasters like this is a legitimate one. People work all their lives and earn their homes, then lose them in seconds, and sometimes more than just material things. I will happily kick in some of my tax money to help.

Bill

Back