What's new
What's new

DRO scale lengths ?

empee

Plastic
Hi im looking at fitting scales too my bp type mill.

I have 2 questions.

1) I can easily take the x, y and z axis too their limits of travel and get a direct measurements via a tape measure to establish the actual distances - but what size scales should I order ?

2) I am looking at purchasing on Ebay from a company in California " DRO PROS" item number is: 290377807612 . Does anyone have any knowledge of these dros ?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers, Mark in Australia

Looks like an Easson kit.. Anyway to the DRO...

Find out the maximum amount of travel you have by measuring the full travel

The scale then needs to be slightly longer then this and installed correctly, the manual will help.

Here are pictures of the Easson installation on my mill, it has had the guards installed since these pics were taken

.. clickable thumbnails..

Fitting it can be tricky and more fiddly then anything else...I think I used 4mm or 5mm cap head screws to fit it..

It also has to be aligned with the help of a dial gauge...

I found a DRO makes the world of difference on any tool.... Today I had to use my old clapped out lathe to make some bushes as it has a large spindle hole... It has no DRO and to make it worse has imperial dials..

Not the easiest thing to do to be using metric micrometres on an imperial lathe... A DRO would have sped it up nicely...

But since I put the DRO on the mill it has become an extremely handy asset and increased it's usefulness ten fold...

Emp:

I believe the have a fairly well stocked website that shows how to measure for scales as well as install them. IIRC, they have a table showing travel lengths w/ OAL scale lengths.
Friend of mine bought one, I read the op and install manual and it seemed to be written so that "we" would be able to comprehend the content and process and not wonder about the "intent" of the translator's translation (if you know what I mean).

I think for a not very expensive/reasonably priced DRO unit, you should really consider Mitutoyo instead of whatever that thing is.

Back