What's new
What's new

solar-motor 2.0

Wolfram-G

Plastic
Hello everybody,

my name is Wolfram and I'm new here in this forum.

About two years ago I became aware of mendocino-motors.
I was fascinated of the noiseless and wearfree rotation of this engines and I wanted to built my own version of it.
Because of the nessesary high precision, this turned out to be extrem difficult.

I realized that this is only possible with a milling cutter. So I started reading a lot about building one on my own.
(It took about 2 years...)

Today I can work with much more accuracy and precision.
In November 2015 I finished my project and I want to introduce it to you now.
I am very curious about your opinion and hope you like it!

Enjoy :)

Wolfram

Well, yes it does look cool.

But to get it straight, you have constructed a solar (light) powered motor that is over 300mm long (that's over a foot in English units) that produces so little power that you had to use magnetic levitation (bearings). And at what cost?

It is a nice demonstration, but is there a practical goal?

Very good work and an interesting project, I like it.

It's only my opinion, but I think you blew it with the fancy photography and music, but I'm just an old fart.

Well done and welcome aboard:)

Well, yes it does look cool.

But to get it straight, you have constructed a solar (light) powered motor that is over 300mm long (that's over a foot in English units) that produces so little power that you had to use magnetic levitation (bearings). And at what cost?

It is a nice demonstration, but is there a practical goal?

I agree, very neat. Looks like it was fun to accomplish too.

But I have to ask: What powers the magnetic bearings? It appears they are powered from external source, not solar. I think if you want to show a solar motor, solar needs to power ALL OF IT, not just a small portion of it?

Congratulations to Wolfram both for the production values of the video and the nicely finished motor.
Both are very well done.

It is a good start, it might work places that are off the electric grid. Not much power right now, but early automobiles were very slow also. Keep it up, We might really need these in the future.

Hello everybody,

Thank you for your interest and the nice comments.

Ankerwicklung.png

Wolfram

Wolfram,

Are the suspension magnets polarized axially or radially?

Did is you have issues with crashes of the armature if it gets out of the ideal location in its suspension?

Denis

Has to be axial, as it would snap together every 180 degrees of rotation if it were radial. Added bonus is that axial means he could offset the magnets to bias the rotor into the end plate.

Quite clever, IMO.

Has to be axial, as it would snap together every 180 degrees of rotation if it were radial. Added bonus is that axial means he could offset the magnets to bias the rotor into the end plate.

Quite clever, IMO.

There are radial magnets with the South Pole covering the entire outer surface and the North Pole entirely central. They are less common but available. There may be instability problems with axially magnetized magnets. That is why I am hoping the OP will enlighten us as to what he used..

Denis

Hello Denis,

The magnets are polarized axial.
The Rotor is not able to leave its position on its own.
Therefore it can not crash.

Magnete.jpg

Wolfram

Hello Denis,

The magnets are polarized axial.
The Rotor is not able to leave its position on its own.
Therefore it can not crash.

Magnete.jpg

Wolfram
Thank you! I guess a little care is needed when placing the armature so that you are sure to stay a bit to the left as things could happen fast if you get a bit to the right in this drawing. That is what I was wondering about, but I can see there is a virtual magnet upslope for short distance to the right and with care all is good. There would also be potential problems with radially magnetized magnets, but the slope would be symmetric with the hump at the midpoint between the mags.

Denis

There are radial magnets with the South Pole covering the entire outer surface and the North Pole entirely central. They are less common but available. There may be instability problems with axially magnetized magnets. That is why I am hoping the OP will enlighten us as to what he used..

Denis

True, but the magnets in the video were clearly not monopolar, which are assembled from multiple segments held together in a housing of some sort.

True, but the magnets in the video were clearly not monopolar, which are assembled from multiple segments held together in a housing of some sort.

You sure about that? Did you check out sintered unipolar ring magnets prior to writing the above. I don't mind being corrected if done correctly. I did some looking prior to posing my original question to the OP.

Example 1: Uni Pole Radial Oriented Magnetization Ring NdFeB Magnet OD70MM ID62MM 20mm N45 | eBay
Example 2: Radial Sintered Magnets - Magma Magnetic Technologies

Denis

Back