What's new
What's new

NOS 1971 Bridgeport

rcchomper

Plastic
NOS 1971 Bridgeport on E-BAY (not mine). Interesting setup J-head and Hi speed J-head. This is only the 2nd hi speed J-head that I have ever seen. It sure would be nice to have a Bridgeport without any scratches/slop or play. Don't think there are many new 1971 series ones around.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200154845452&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Wish it was closer to me I would really like to take a look at it.

Wow! I was just looking at a Jet in the same condition for exactly the same price. But a real BP in that shape, especially with the high speed head, now that's a deal!

Someone will snag that baby soon--can't imagine finding one in that condition(or price) very often.

I think much of the table sag is due to the peening effect of the tee nuts into the top of the tee slot. It would be nice to inspect this one to see just how flat the table is.

1. The high speed head is not a "J" head, it's an "M" head.
2. It is not a "Series I". That sales gimick didn't come out until the Series II was introduced. They were all VS heads anyway.
3. Not that great a price! Don sold one about 18 months ago for $7.5K that was a 2J2 head and had DROs. I bought one about like Don's for $7.7 and got a vise, collets, hold downs, power feed, etc.
4. I think that there is a lot of wrong information on the "high speed" head. IIRC, they were 1/2 HP motors, not 1 HP. Most were #2 MT or #7 B&S tapers. That spindle is not big enough for R-8 or the quick change they list.
JR

would this be a bargin by comparison?
series 1 2HP 42" resurfaced table, top of knee rescraped,Bijur oil system, table power feed,new way wipers. .007 backlash in crossfeed nut and screw..... .009 backlash in table feed screw
$3500.00 508 892-4856
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/sidecar580/38-051/38-51006.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/sidecar580/38-051/38-51002.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/sidecar580/38-051/38-51001.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/sidecar580/38-051/38-51003.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/sidecar580/38-051/38-51005.jpg

But a real BP in that shape, especially with the high speed head, now that's a deal!
Not really, considering it's still a 1971 machine after all. Say you pay $8,500 for it and then use it for a year. Even if it still looks great, it's no longer NOS and the value plummets to 2,500 bucks !! And the M head is worth very little, adds maybe 400 bucks to value.

As JRIowa points out, for that kinda money you could get a pristine 1990's Bridgeport vari speed with chrome ways, DRO, Kurt vise, Bridgeport HD power feed, etc. which would still be worth about that much a year later.

Machine tools are not like cars....many NOS 1971 cars would be worth more now than their new 2007 counterparts. But NOS machine tools are only worth more if they are somehow better than their new counterpart or their late model pristine used counterpart, which in this case, it isn't.

"Say you pay $8,500 for it and then use it for a year. Even if it still looks great, it's no longer NOS and the value plummets to 2,500 bucks !!"

I guess it's kinda like the guy who told me his new girlfriend was 'almost a virgin'.

are they storing it outdoors??
Yeah I noticed that too. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. It is interesting that some of the parts that ought to be really shiney, like the handwheel collar surfaces, aren't...like they were "buffed up" to remove rust. But it could be cosmoline with 36 years of dirt stuck to it..hard to tell.

Regardless, any eBay seller who even takes pictures of a nicer machine outdoors, much less actually stores them outside, without any explaination of such, is asking for trouble in the bid amount department.

It's setting on a skid. I would assume it was moved outside for better lighting.

Who wants a step pulley machine?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The seller has feedback that should make any buyer cautious. Over two years on eBay & this is his first item for sale ... as a buyer, he has three negatives & one bid retraction during the past year. Be prepared for surprises :eek:

--------------
Barry Milton

Looks like it's been round the block a few times to me," all that glitters is not golden ", look in the coolant troughs at the end of the table, they've seen some service. Decent paint job and they've given everything a good " Biax"ing, table top as well !
Give it a good alignment work out before you buy.
Regards Tyrone.

There was one like this once in a garage in PA not far from here. A friend told me about it that bought a Beautiful original 1970's Mustang pretty cheap.
2 of them about 2 hours away from me.
The son wanted $2500 each for them cause the house was sold and needed them out. I had cash, a forklift (big bobcat with forks), and my trailer.
They were sold before I got there, was a just little mad. They called when I was 15 minutes away. I went anyway to see them. But they sure looked factory new, they had the packing slip and paperwork (no price though) with his fathers name on it too from back then. He bought them new for his retirement business, and did not make it to that point.
They looked the same though, but when you cleaned up a little they got shiny. Was a little rust on some screws, but other than that, NEW.
I am always too late, thats my life.
Point of the story, I think it really might be new, but I'd like to see it in person.
They are only $12,000 something new now in the MSC Book, and thats variable speed, and more modern pretty looking paint job. Althought Bridgeport does not like to sell machines though, I tried to order some for a customer, they don't have dealers anymore, only direct sales for manual machines, I could not order right from the factory ALTHOUGH I HAD AN ORDER AND WOULD OVERNIGHT A CHECK FOR IT THEY WOULD NOT DO IT, had to wait a week for a sales rep for the area call me back, he said they will give me $500 commission to sell each one if I give them the name of the customer and contact info. I could not order for the customer they had to contact them. This was part of a larger deal, YEAH RIGHT they think I am gonna give out their number so he can sell them their CNC instead of mine with the deal.

I was at once a Bridgeport Dealer, only for about a year. Then they changed companies.
I could have sold 4 this year to this customer, but its way too hard to get one and not worth it. 4 aint many, but thats just me. He got just as frustrated, so he has 4 nice mills thre now but not Bridgeports. But they are happy with them.
Sorry for the rant, I just have a little sore spot with them!

Hi everyone,I am the owner of the 1971 NOS BP on
e-bay.I thought that i should clear up a few things for the few who don't see this machine for what it is.How many times does someone come across a machine that was built 36 years ago and was never used for any machine work.I am a wood worker and took the pictures out side of my barn (where it is being stored inside)for better lighting.The machine was covered in cosmoline with 36 yrs. of dirt and dust on top of that.I wiped it down with kerosene and a scotchguard pad.The paint is the orginal factory paint job.
There has been no repainting of anything on the machine.The heads are a 1 H.P.J-head and a 1 H.P.
High Speed M-Head, not a 1/2 H.P. that someone
has stated.The tanks at each end of the table were not cleaned and it is dirty with dried up cosoline and dirt from sitting in storeage for 36 yrs,not from any use.I am not a machinist but i sure amazed by finding a machine like this and would be amazed if someone else had found it first.I would welcome anyone in the area to come over and inspect it if they wouldn't too.I welcome any questions you have and will try to answer them the best i can but please don't post
a bunch of B.S. if you haven't seen the machine first hand yourself.Also thanks to the ones who had postive opinions in their post.
woodiron4me

Sorry,It should read that i welcome anyone in the area to come over and inspect it if they wanted too not wouldn't too.My mistake,was thinking faster then i can type.
woodiron4me

Sorry,It should read that i welcome anyone in the area to come over and inspect it if they wanted too not wouldn't too.My mistake,was thinking faster then i can type.
woodiron4me
The icon to the above left of your post allows you to edit a response.

Clutch

Back